Ted Petit daylilies

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Just wondering if anyone here grows any of Ted Petit's daylilies, and if so, do they look as good as the pics on his website, or are those doctored up? Those pics have such nice, saturated colors, and I find it difficult to believe that they can look that good for real.

Karen

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

I have a bunch that are listed just as Petit and a few that are T. Petit. Not sure if that is the same person. Most of what I have are not the newest intros. Unfortunately the newer ones have not bloomed yet.

This is Ancient Wisdom (Petit, 2002)

This message was edited Feb 23, 2012 8:41 AM

Thumbnail by DitchLily206
Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

Here is a different day. Ancient Wisdom 7-15

Thumbnail by DitchLily206
Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Nice, though not as dark as the picture on his web site. That one is no longer available from him, though he still keeps the pic and description. http://petitdaylilies.com/Old_Site/ancientwisdom.htm

There is a seller on eBay selling OCEAN VIEW. Ted Petit's photo of it makes it look very saturated ( http://petitdaylilies.com/Old_Site/Ocean_View.html ), though I saw another picture of it taken in someone elses' garden, and it looks a lot different ( http://www.stardreamerdaylilies.com/daylilyimages/OceanView.jpg ). Petit's photo looks very saturated and rich and way too over-the-top unnatural.

Karen

Cartersville, GA

Karen, here is Ocean View taken June 2, 2011 here in NW Ga. We grow lots of Ted Petit's daylilies and like them. Maybe someone will respond and tell how his grow in your part of the country.

CORRECTION: THIS IS NOT OCEAN VIEW. THIS IS A SEEDLING.

This message was edited Feb 23, 2012 9:37 AM

This message was edited Feb 23, 2012 9:48 AM

Thumbnail by Casshigh
Cartersville, GA

Here is a picture of Ocean View taken this past June 2.

Thumbnail by Casshigh
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Larry's Obsession

Thumbnail by Lyle627
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Now I have heard that LO does well in the north. I hope so because I purchased it and am looking foward to getting it.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

I have a few daylilies, but when Larry's Obsession blooms it stops me in my tracks. I don't know about growing in the north. i know it is very hardy for me. and a good parent...

Violet Becomes You x Larry's Obsession

Thumbnail by Lyle627 Thumbnail by Lyle627
Cartersville, GA

Lyle,
Those are two fine looking seedlings, I especially like the first one. Like always, we will replicate your choice of crosses, as you definitely know what you are doing. The same is true for several other people on this forum. We get many ideas from you guys.

Doris,
I like that seedling you posted very much. You didn't doctor it, did you?

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

That is the way it looks in my garden...I could make it look better..lol

Thumbnail by Lyle627
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Lovely!!!

Cartersville, GA

No, David. I did not doctor it. I am glad that you like it. I do, too.

Your loving wife,
Doris

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

doris, gorgeous seedling! what are the parents? maybe GSTQ?

tracie

Cartersville, GA

Tracie, it does look like GSTQ might be a parent. I have to check tonight. It may be the one that Blues Music is the pod parent. I'll see if I can find out and will post.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh, I like LARRY'S OBSESSION! I'm convinced that Petit doctor's the images on his website, or someone does it for him. I don't like it when hybridizer's do that. They should be shown as they look naturally.

Karen

Baltimore, OH(Zone 6a)

I received a plant from our club which was labeled Blonde Ambition. It does not look like Petit's picture. It is more orange than yellow. It does have a red eye, but it has never doubled. I wrote Petit about that and did not get a definitive answer. I also wrote a person that listed it on The Daylily Auction and he replied that it had never doubled for him. Therefore, I will not bid on Petit daylilies unless there is a picture different from the one from Petit.

Cartersville, GA

I questioned that we had the true Blonde Ambition, too. I looked at Petit's site and decided it probably was the real thing. It has never doubled here, and we have had it at least three years. I am disappointed that it has not doubled, but it may need more time to settle in. When we start to downsize at the end of this summer, it may be one to find a new home.

Baltimore, OH(Zone 6a)

It should have doubled by now if it was going to. I have Buckeye Barnstormer (Haehn, 2000 height 26", bloom 4.5", season EM, Rebloom, Semi-Evergreen, Diploid, Fragrant, 16 buds, 3 branches, Double 100%, Cream yellow with cherry red eye above yellow throat), which bloomed for the first time this year. Every flower was fully double. My kind of daylily.

Baltimore, OH(Zone 6a)

Here is Buckeye Barnstormer

Thumbnail by poplarcreek
Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

I have compared his pics with others and must conclude that they were touched up.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

I must agree with you, Mike. Now I bid on his only if I like pics I've seen in other people's gardens first. With his doctored images, he reminds me of Dr. Blue, Dr. Elliot, who was famous for doctoring his images, and is no longer in business that I know of. I'm thinking too many people took exception to the fact that their daylilies never looked anywhere near as gorgeous as the pics in his catalogs/on his website.

Karen

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Karen, I never heard of that Dr. LOL!!

Kalama, WA(Zone 8b)

Wow! Larry's Obsession is gorgeous! And by the look of those seedlings a very good parent too.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I certainly hope so. I have that one coming this spring. Larry is my hubby's name. Now I have to get one for my name. Maybe Cindy's Tie Dye. I see that one is on LA right now.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Mike, "Dr. Blue" is Robert Elliot: http://www.search.com/reference/Robert_Day_Elliott

Karen

Baltimore, OH(Zone 6a)

There are a couple of people in the daylily world who refer to themselves as 'Dr. xxx', but their Ph.D. is not in horticulture or related subjects. His degree is supposedly in horticulture. I am surprised that he doctored his photographs. I never bought from him, knowing that the photographs were altered. His website does not seem to be active right now.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

I don't think he doctor's his photos as I have seen tapes from his garden and the flowers at that time were just as beautiful as in the pictures. The videographer used to be a member here at Dave's Garden.

Alot of it has to do with the weather. Some do better with more intense heat, etc. I have one of his older red ones and the color varies with the temps outside. It is best on a hot day.

Some of it naturally has to do with the soil......so you are going to have variations! That is one reason why I quit trying to collect certain ones until I know what they will do in my area.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Texasgal77, I sure would love to see that tape if you can locate it on the internet.

I know weather does have a lot to do with how a daylily looks, how intense the color is, the pattern, etc. I've seen that myself. I do believe soil can affect them as well. It certainly makes sense.

Karen

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

It was by Happy Moose Gardens, Bobby Baxter, I believe. It might have been the videographer before him. I thought I still had the tape but I can't find it.

I have "Cleopatra's Jewel", a 2000 Petit introduction. It varies in color. Sometimes it looks really washed out, and then on other days it is gorgeous!

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

I'll have to check out their website. Thanks. CLEOPATRA'S JEWEL brings to mind one I really like, and older variety called DELICATE DESIGN. The design shows up better on some days than others.

Karen

Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.