Bellingham Lily

Bellingham, WA

I know one parent of the Bellingham Lily was Lilium humboldtii. I don't know the name of the second parent. Can anyone help me out. Any other information you might know about it would nice also. Thank You;

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

According to the Lily Register ~
Parentage: Contains L. humboldtii, L. pardalinum and L. parryi
Hybridizer: R:&N: D.Griffiths. USDA Circular no.299 (1933).
Description: Clear yellow to bright orange-red, most spotted with rusty brown. Stems 1.9-2.2m. June-July.

The Register can be found here http://www.lilyregister.com/register/

Bellingham, WA

Thank you Moby.

By the way, I like your posts.

I live in Bellingham and I saw one once about twenty years ago. First Lily I ever had to look up at.

Funny, they write books about the old time logging, the fishing, and the coal mine. Not one word about the famous Bellingham Lily. D. Griffiths must have been really into the game.

John

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I'm glad you brought up the subject as I hadn't heard of this lily before. It's a good thing we had those old-timers in the game; where might we be today? :)

Bellingham, WA

Bellingham was and still is a wonderful retirement town. Dr. Carl Withner, former curator of the orchid collection at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden, also lived here. We became friends and use to have many talks about orchids and lilies. I was into Bedding Plants for sale in the spring. Now many years later I wish I would have been into lilies. You have so many nice plants. Good for you. I can tell you love it too.

John

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Thank you, John. We're glad to have your here in the lily forum.

Poland, ME

This is a picture of a Bellingham Hybrid

Thumbnail by Mainiac
Bellingham, WA

Thank you Mainiac. (Hope that's not your real name)

I like your posts.

Back in 1969 when I first saw the Bellingham Lily the gentleman offered to sell me a bulb for $75.00. I wonder what it would cost to-day. An arm and a leg?

John

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Quote from cedargrove :
Thank you Mainiac. (Hope that's not your real name)

John

That's Mainiac (from Maine), not maniac. LOL.

It's a good thing. :-)

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

yup

Poland, ME

Actually I can get Bellingham hybrids from Scotland and I sold a couple this year for $8.00 each. However, I can't get any more this year...

Poland, ME

If you are still interested, check with me next year

Bellingham, WA

Thank you everyone who wrote. I also like Buggy for a name.

Raising and selling Lilies sure has changed in the last 40 years hasn't it. From $75.00 to $8.00 is a big drop.

John

Poland, ME

Prices change due to quantities and demand. The gentleman I buy from is propagating these bulbs and obviously has been quite successful.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.