sapsucker attack

Moorestown, NJ(Zone 6b)

Hi,

What can I do to protect two awesome Hollies being actively attacked by sapsuckers, and dripping sap like a slow bleed?

Thumbnail by betulo
suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Wow, that's quite a number of holes. I'm no expert on that kinda damage, only that if they go around the tree, or girdle it, it could be killed. I'd guess otherwise, it'll just look bad, but once again, I'm no expert, only an expert on my unemployment benefits! lol. Here's some Sapsucker damage at my Aunt and Uncle's house.

This message was edited Mar 5, 2012 1:55 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf
FU, United States(Zone 9b)

Oh My Goodness! What does that to a tree? Is it a WoodPecker Bird that does that?
Is there any kind of Insect spray you could spray on the trunk of that tree, every-so-often, that would stop whatever it is from drilling holes in that tree trunk?

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Yep, a species of woodpecker (Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, to be precise). No, insect spray won't work.

Nothing you can really do to stop them.

Resin

Moorestown, NJ(Zone 6b)

Resin,

The engraving does go around the main trunk of the tree. What are the odds that the this holly is going to make it?

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

It isn't completely girdled, so it should survive, but overall growth might be slowed for a year or two until the wounds are grown over.

Resin

Moorestown, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thank you.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.