Can aluminum trays be used to start seeds?

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

A local deli packs frozen foods in 5"x9"x2" aluminum trays with a plastic top. They are a convenient size for starting seeds (built in moisture cover!). I used a couple that way last year with fairly good results and this year I have a whole stack of them. However I dimly remember someone on DG saying aluminum was not good for seed germination. I also dimly remember from high school chemistry that aluminum quickly forms an oxide coating, meaning the soil would probably not contact the Al directly, so I am not sure if the warning is valid.

So, is Aluminum a no-no? If it is, would spraying the inside of the tray with plastic alleviate the problem?

Thomaston, CT

Good questions, Don, but I don't know ...never heard that aluminum was bad for germination...aluminum occurs naturally in the soil....

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I wouldn't think that would be a problem

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Have used them before, to hold paper pots, peat pots etc. to good effect. but never really planted directly in them.
Martha

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I tried several times to post some photos for you.. but it keeps bringing me to the communities home page .. but I use them all the time.. even bought loaf pans from the dollar store or christmas tree shop with lids.. they work just fine.. just don't over water

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

trying again

Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

more

Thumbnail by onewish1 Thumbnail by onewish1
Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

Thanks all for sharing your experiences. I guess I'll go on using them.

OneWish, I appreciate your effort in uploading the pictures. Gee, those are some nice Coleus! What is the variety?

You are more organized than I am. Those computer printed ID tags look very professional! Your aluminum pans look much like the ones I have. I assume you punch holes in the bottom like I do.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

when they are small no I don't put holes.. but just use a spray bottle to water so they don't drown.. I always use water gels in the bottom to catch any excess as well .. the first was TM prize strain improved.. 2nd is versa crimson gold .. I believe ... I love the p-touch labels.. they don't wear out either .. I have had some of those outside for years and show no wear at all .. I went overboard with those after the year I had 10 trays with washed off sharpie marker.. and had no clue what was what after hardening off... the rain just washed them away.. and it wasn't like each tray was one plant... I had several in each.. and new to seeds.. couldn't identify anything yet .. so before I knew about paint pens (which I use for annuals now).. that was my choice.. and I do love them since my handwriting stinks

;)

the new p-touch I bought last year can hook to the computer and I can save files for later use.. will print and cut them automatically.. can even add a logo or line drawing photo if I want

This message was edited Feb 24, 2012 8:33 AM

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Don, I call Allison the "SEED QUEEN" and I mean that in the highest regards. I often go to her for seed germination information. ^_^
If it was not for her I would not of known how easy coleus are to grow from seed, and how to take cuttings. This is a cutting from a coleus i've had since last May.

Thumbnail by pixie62560
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

;)

Thomaston, CT

Never knew they were easy from seed...thanks, will have to try growing them!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

real easy.. but slow growing at first.. they germinate.. and don't move for weeks

Thomaston, CT

May not be good for me, then.....if it's not galloping along, I tend to toss......

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

def. not an instant gratification seed that is for sure.. but easy still

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Worth the wait.

Thumbnail by pirl
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

agreed

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Figured I could count on you!

Thomaston, CT

They look very healthy!

Post a Reply to this Thread