Japanese Maples ideas

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I am looking for 2 JM's for this area. I am imagineing a type that is wider than tall because they will be under the firs.
Photo #1 is one side of the paninsula.
#2 is the oposite side I have marked the spot at far right.

Who do you recomend for purchase?

Thumbnail by ge1836 Thumbnail by ge1836
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

looks like you would want a weeping jm with lace leaves - how much sun would it get? and do you have a preference of color, red, green, variegated?

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

you can check some dissectums out here - http://www.davidsansjapanesemaples.com/shop/category/dissectum/

some of his favorites are toyama nishiki (i have, very nice needs shade), brocade, watnong, and the famous washi-no-o that victor has by his pond.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

you can also check here - http://www.topiary-gardens.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=7_8

she does have some large ones available (need to ask) and her pricing and freight is reasonable

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I was hopeing you and Victor would show up.
I remember a verigated one you showed awhile back. The area gets morning sun and afternoon sun and is not dark but shaded. I think a verigated with a general light look would be stunning.
There are 3 firs planted in a row. I will need to remove the last one at some time I think its dying so the JM's would not be exposed to too much sun after that job is done.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I love the toyama nashiki what a beautiful purplr cloud.
What are the names of the verigated ones you have.Are they also weeping and low spreading?
I live near a Oriental Garden Supply.He grows and deals only with JM's of all sorts.I can check his stock list to see if there are any you mentioned.
This is going to be painfull to my wallet I suppose.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

the toyama nishiki is the only variegated dissectum i have - it is green/white/ and a little pink - it needs heavy shade so i am not sure that is what you want - i would just look at the pictures from the two sites and compare to what the place near by has - victor and i both have orangeola which is mostly red although its new growth is orangey so it gives off a two tone effect - i really like the brocade and have been tempted to get one.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

That area could be a bit dry. Is it covered by the trees above? I would go with weeping also. Orangeola is very nice.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I think if I planted the JM's deep into the margines enough there would be enough shade. I checked my guy and he has both toyama nishiki and Brocade .Maybe I will get 3 JM's

Victor ,its well drained and a bit sandy the best digging soil on the property which is mostly clay. The area has been mulched and composted. The last fir on the line seems to be dying.My landscape guy said there was too much mulch around it. I will consult with him again, its been 4 years. I doubt the diagnosis will improve.These landscape people have done a lot of work for me. He is very knowlegeble .

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Its hard to choose,just looked at the David site and want to know what the measurments mean.
Is 3-4 the mature width and height?
I swa my Spring Delight there. It was my first JM.Still love it.

Thomaston, CT

Jo, I have a dwarf...kasagiama....seems to love facing the east...lots of different colors in the leaves....

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Marilyn.Glad I have a few months to make up my mind

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Topiary Gardens is only about 75 miles from your home, so I would go there and talk to her and pick out your trees and drive them home with you. She is extremely nice on the phone and online, plus the pictures of her garden are stunning. I want to go their badly. Patti

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks for that post Patti, looks like a cool place to check out!

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

yes it does - with all the advice diana has given me i have to meet her in the near future!

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

I missed your earlier link Bill, but when Patti said how close it was I checked it out. It's between Sue and I so we could meet there.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

It is close.The gardens look beautiful.

Thomaston, CT

Maybe I can convince my niece to take me there!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

It looks like a nice day trip.

Thomaston, CT

Ok, will have to think about going.....

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I wonder if google has a map to see relativly where they are

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

you know i have never asked her if those pictures are from her nursery

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Robindog: Ask your niece to take you here:
http://www.fromscratchcakery.com/

Thomaston, CT

Wow....if her husband finds the place, she'll never speak to me.....

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Google maps has easy directions to Diana Smith's Topiary gardens and those pictures are from her garden. I am dying to visit it in person. I know from her email's to me that know that she is of Japanese decent and since her Dad died a couple of years ago she is running the business and farm and does the grafting herself. She is a very knowledgeable and helpful lady and certainly helpful to a person just starting out with Japanese Maples as she willingly sends great emails in reply to all my dumb questions about them. Patti

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

i was talking with her yesterday and the picture on the web site is of a clients home. if you look on her projects tab she does have a large pond construction job that is at the nursery (it is the 4th or 5th tab i think). actually all the projects where pretty interesting. the one labeled Doc's something was very impressive.

if any of you do visit be sure to tell her you know patti and I and you'll get special treatment - i mentioned there may be a road trip by some of you.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I think Marilyn and her niece will try to go in June.

Thomaston, CT

Yes....there & to Borglums.....

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

take photos if you can.

Thomaston, CT

I will!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.