Please help identify iris species

Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

I know ID has its own forum but I figured people on the iris forum were more suited to help with this one since it is an iris.

I bought this last year and now can't remember the species. I have a few I want to put on my trade list. If I get some suggestions I know I can then ID it.
It blooms the earliest of all my irises. It grows from a bulb. It is the height of a standard crocus. My reticulated irises bloom after this one.
Here is the pic...is snowed a tad the other day and that hasn't seemed to burn it. I am in zone 7b.

This message was edited Feb 15, 2012 9:32 AM

Thumbnail by estrail1rider
South Hamilton, MA

That seems to be a reticulated iris as well. Do you know if there was a name with it. Like all irises the position in the garden can make a difference. Is it near a building or rocks where it could get more warmth?

Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

Yes it was named, if I can't figure it out, I can ask the guy at the nursery when they reopen. They are up near Pokomoke, MD about 1/2 hr away.

Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

It is beside my steps but I have reticulated there as well and they have not bloomed.

South Hamilton, MA

there are different clones just like bearded irises. See if you can find reticulated irises listed in Plant Files.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Try Katharine Hodgkin

South Hamilton, MA

I thought of that & it does bloom earlier but this seems deeper in color than ours. worth a try, however.

Monroe Township, NJ(Zone 7a)

What about - " a variety of reticulated irises called Natasha. They are a pale flower with blue stripes and a striking yellow patch." I found a picture and description of this iris on google 'reticulated irises' images.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

#1 This is my emerging Kathrine Hogsn.
# 2 I ordered Natasha and planted it last fall.Natasha is lighter than KH

Thumbnail by ge1836 Thumbnail by ge1836
South Hamilton, MA

yes, definately not Natasha. KH has the dots as it is really a species cross.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Mine are just peeking .A month before I see a bloom. Love them in clumps. I like the light colors against the soil. I have some of the dark purples but cant see them from the house.

Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

Katharine Hodgkin is a possibility. They are still in bloom and still no sign of my reticulata coming up. If they come up that much earlier then probably so. Will check for sure when I get back to the nursery.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.