Suggestions needed please

Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

I generally grow irises and don't know a lot about selecting a daylily for a specific purpose. The daylilies I have were selected by the "Oh! I really like that one!" method. I know what I like and need but have no idea when it comes to trying to figure out which ...by name...that will "fit the bill".
I need a daylily that does not grow a really tall mound of leaves. It needs to have flowers of more than one color. I need it to be in the red or red orange range for the main color. I prefer large flowers that have broad petals. Ruffled would be a great plus. Edgings would be even still better!!
I don't expect to find what my mind's eye can envision as THE daylily...but a runner-up would be great!
Can you help me with your suggestions?
Thanks!

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Hush Little Baby
Frans Hals
Ruby stella
Outrageous------http://www.a1daylilies.com/Outrageous.html

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

estrail1rider, stick around. You will be bombarded by the other Hem lovers as soon as they see this. Outrageous seem to fit your liking along with Frans Hals. One more "Dragon King".

http://dayliliesforsale.com/daylily/Dragon-King
Site chosen for pic

Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

Yes! All of those except Frans Hals are the type I am looking for. Of course I will keep watching the thread. TY!!!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

If you go to Maryotts site you will find a lot of nice daylilies .........good luck with your search.

Sence Of Wonder ----------------- Roses and Gold

Thumbnail by Lyle627 Thumbnail by Lyle627
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Some purples that have grown well....

Linda Beck-------------Jennifer Trimmer

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

These really stand out in the garden............

Kwanza Gold ..........Prediction

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Both of these do well in my garden

Quest for Atlantis.............Spacecoast Cotton Candy

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Also some of the pastels are good growers.......

Aunt Leona......American Doll

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Dry Heat

Thumbnail by Lyle627
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Holy Guacamole

Thumbnail by Lyle627
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

some reds.....

Fiery Temper ----------- Song Writer

This message was edited Feb 15, 2012 8:15 AM

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Coronal Light ------------------------ Spacecoast Lipstick Kisses

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Hearts Of Fire------------------ Kingdom of hearts

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Orange City

Thumbnail by Lyle627
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Apache Sunrise

Thumbnail by Lyle627
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

TEQUILA MOCKINGBIRD

Thumbnail by Lyle627
Logan Lake, BC(Zone 3a)

Lyle those are all beautiful!!! Great photos too!!

Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

For my drive entrance bed I am putting in this summer...not on the main road... I really want the darker color so some above look great but are too tall I think with the grass in back. The paler colors are gorgeous, put not dark enough for there. I also want to put in three in front of our garage between patches of my irises and lighter colors will be fine. I have several near white ones with eyes and edgings in another bed so don't want more of those.
I don't like small blooms on my taller daylilys.

Do purples hold their color or do they really fade? Are they as purple as the ones above?
Thanks

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

One that may work is Willie Markus (Kinnebrew).

Here is the Plant file link: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/163401/

Here is a great photo of it (much better than mine): http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=7416938

My picture.

Thumbnail by DitchLily206
Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

Another one that is shorter is Vernal Tutone, although the flower is not as big as you requested. (scape19",Dip,bloom 4.50",Dor,EE,Re). It blooms very early for me here in zone 7b in Huntsville. It does rebloom for me.

Vernal Tutone rebloom 7-16-11_________________________First bloom 5-17-11

Thumbnail by DitchLily206 Thumbnail by DitchLily206
Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

Pumpkin Kid is also shorter. (scape 18",Dip, bloom 5.50",Evr,M,Re,Ext)

Light orange with red eyezone and green throat.

Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

For there I do want 3-5 tall ones. Looking at some of the others above with the wide petals and ruffles are also good suggestions to plant in front of our garage.

DitchLily206...I really like the 'Willie Markus'. I checked it out in the plant files to see who might have it for trade and there is no one so that one might be harder for me to get. Will also check out the online prices for it. TY!!

Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

Still would like to know if those purple ones are really that purple?

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

One place you can look is the Lily Auction, although you need to be careful when you go there. It is an addictive place. LOTS of beautiful daylilies for sale. I checked just now and while there are no fans of Willie Markus for sale right now, there have been several different sellers that have offered it in the last few months.

That is where I bought mine. I bought it in 2008 a year after it was introduced and paid $50 for 3F, a great price at the time.

http://www.daylily.com/cgi-bin/auction.cgi

FYI, you will sometimes see this one listed as Spacecoast Willie Markus as most of the Kinnebrew's introductions have that as part of their name. For what ever reason, they chose to register this one as simply Willie Markus.

The hybridizer still has it listed on their site, but I know that you can find it cheaper elsewhere.

Here is a snapshot of the closed listings on the Lily Auction for WIllie Markus

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.