choices for tree farm

rhinelander, WI(Zone 4a)

what are a few good nurseries for 2-2 transplant trees in mid-michigan ? Kalamazoo area ? we are looking for red oaks
black walnuts and many other varieties. Where is a DNR outlet that sells trees for reforestation?

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Every year my county has a tree sale. It's the Arenac Conservation Dept. tree sale. I buy all my trees from them and have for years with good results. The trees have good root sytems and are healthy and the prices are very good. You might want to check with your county conservation dept. to see if they offer the same.

rhinelander, WI(Zone 4a)

thanks , do you use water gel or mycorrhizal tablets with your tree plantings ?

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

No I do not. We live in a wetland area so have a very high water table. We plant so many trees that we did invest in a tree auger type attachment for the tractor. Our soil lacks sulfur here because we're so close to the lake I think. When planting I usually put a bag of compost with manuer in the hole and work it in, plant the tree properly (not too high and not too low) then fill in the dirt. We have to put big steel cages around our trees to keep the deer from eating them. Each spring we feed all the trees a 15-15-15-10 fertilizer we get at the grain mill. The ten is sulfur. We make sure the second year we prune the trees properly. We also spray all the trees early before the buds swell with a dormant oil. After the blossoms fall off we begin a regular spray program every three or four weeks until about six weeks before we pick fruit. I also add some Liquid Fence to the mixture to deter wildlife from chewing on whatever branches they can reach. I have in past years added a vitamin pack in the hole when planting but am not sure it's necessary. We've been blessed with regular rainfall but if your new planting is going through a long drought then you'd want to give it a good soak once a week or ten days the first year till the roots can reach down to the water table and get their own drink. I like to mulch around mine for two reasons. It keeps the competing grass and weeds down and helps retain moisture. I have even used old carpeting people are throwing away. I turn it over and place around the trees inside the fencing to keep the grass down. It's a real pain to have to lift those cages to weed whack. If you are just planting a couple then use bagged mulch. I like pine mulch to make the soil more acidic because we tend to be more alkaline here.

rhinelander, WI(Zone 4a)

from what i heard it is necessary to do a lot to insure the success of fruit trees like
apple trees -- deer seem to love them and they do need watering and weeding to grow --
i have had success with spruce and pines , oaks to some extent , thanks for your reply
Loon

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Everyone loves fruit including the wildlife.It may be your biggest challenge. One summer we kept missing more and more apples on the tree neareste the woods. Well, the culpret made the mistake of coming out during the day and waddled up the tree to eat some more apples. It was a big fat raccoon. :) Hubby took care of him kind of late. He'd already eaten almost all the apples off the tree. Last summer my cherry tree had a whole bunch of green cherries on it. Next time I mowed and looked up they were all gone. I suspect the birds got them. Someone gets all our grapes every year **sigh** If you can reach your apple tree with a hose water it the first year to get it going. Otherwise what I do is fill a bunch of my watering cans and five gallon buckets with water and drive my RTV out to hand water. I only do that if we're in drought though. I mostly let them fend for themselves.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.