Clematis 'Belle of Woking' and 'Princess Diana'

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

Would it be OK to plant these two on the same trellis? If not, which one would be best to grow up another plant such as a rose bush....if either. I can grow these, but I've never tried combining them. Thanks for any input!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Princess Diana is a class 3 and wants pruning down to about 12" in February/March while Belle of Woking is in class 2 and gets pruned lightly after blooming. That would be the only concern.

Many of us don't mix the classes just for the ease of pruning (and less confusion) but if you really want both growing on the trellis and rose...go for it. If you put one on the left and one on the right that would make it much easier. Which rose? Just curious.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Whichever Roses, I hope it isn't a shrubby type? 'Cause I'm getting ready to whack down most of my shrubby roses, I can imagine it just adds to more confusion which clem to spare. Arlene, thanks for your sharing of the helpful info. on various clems.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

There are thoughts that are just so appealing in our mind that we just have to go ahead and do it. If time proves us wrong and pruning becomes a hassle, we've learned something. If not, we've won. At my age I'd take the chance because otherwise I'd always wonder "what could have been" and that's just too painful.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.