Encyclia? ID

Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

Picked this up at a show this weekend. The vendor thought it was an Encyclia. In all fairness, it was someone filling in while the vendor went to eat. She thought it was cordigera, but I'm not so sure. Anybody recognize it?

Thumbnail by ted5310 Thumbnail by ted5310
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Okay, Ted, I can see I need to send you a diploma from the MaypopLaurel school of photography. I do think it has a good chance of being cordigera which is one of my favorite Encyclias. I posted pics of my cordigera in bloom last winter (I think) but mine is not showing signs of spiking this winter. They grow like Cattleyas...high light and like to dry out. Don't let the pbs shrivel.

Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

Thanx Laurel. I compared it to pix I found on-line, but this one seemed to have rounder pbs. Looks like an onion. Could not get a close pic of the flowers, nothing would stand still long enough. One is starting to open, so I'll post when its all the way open. And in focus. LOL

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

HA! Hard to get pics in this wind, huh?

Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

Did you see this one at the show Carol. It just looks so strange with this almost round psuedo bulb

The pbs are very round and onion-like. I'll photo mine.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Ted, I don't recall seeing that one, but Fri. morning the place was so packed you couldn't possibly see everything.
!/2 hr ago I did see snow on Saddleback. I knew it was cold!!!
Carol

Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

Yes, it's cold for us. I was talking with Andy at the show about the plants of his that I have purchased in the past and all but one can handle this weather. So I am bringing that one in as a house plant and the rest are staying outside. We'll see.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Maybe they can handle the cold, but the dry winds, not so much. I've put alot of mine in the orchid shack for the humidity control. I'm tired of blasted or misshapen buds. Hopefully, the later bloomers will be ok.
When the rain stopped yesterday, I went out on the porch just in time to see the wind change directions. The temps dropped to 49 at 4:45 in the afternoon! Today it was 63 at that time of day. The 'chids are tough, but they don't like those sudden changes...nor do I.

Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

You're right. Fortunately the area next to the house is protected north and south by our house and our neighbor. East and west are more open but we have fencing pretty close. So wind damage USUALLY isn't too bad. Every morning I spend time misting and watering where needed. When the Santa Ana's are blowing it's drench everything every morning. LOL

Here are the pbs on Encyclia cordigera.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

Excellent. That is it. The largest pb actually has an old split that has healed over. And there are two more coming up. Thanx Laurel. Anything special about caring for them?

I have a variety of Encyclias. The ones that do best are in baskets and high up in the greenhut in winter, then in bright light in summer. I will be moving my cordigera to a basket this spring. They like to get wet and then dry out. I pot basket Encycs. tightly in sphag and water when the sphag dries. Give it bright light.

Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

Here is the bloom

Thumbnail by ted5310

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.