Starting a new garden

Vashon, WA(Zone 8a)

Hello All!

I recently moved to the Milwaukee area and am starting a new garden this spring.
I would appreciate any plant donations of any extra plants that you may have this spring! Anything really!

Also, do you guys have any ideas on how I could get something started cheaply? I have ordered seeds and will be starting them next week in the basement.

Thanks much
Vishal

Bark River, MI

Vishal, starting your own plants from seed is a wonderful way to get plants that you want for less expense! Since you're starting them in the basement, I assume you are using fluorescent lights? Make sure the lights are just a couple of inches from the plants, and give them a good 15-16 hours of light each day; I use a timer so I don't forget to turn the lights on and off at the appropriate times. What are you planning to grow? There may also be garden club or other plant sales in your local area, or farmers' markets where people are selling plants. Happy gardening!

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

Welcome to Wisconsin! Another good thing to do is keep an eye on Craigslist and Freecycle. In the Farm & Garden area of Craigslist you'll often find people giving away plants or selling them cheap. Ditto Freecycle once it warms up and people start dividing their plants.

This might help you, too. :)

http://petiolejunction.wordpress.com/2011/06/29/perennial-gardening-on-a-budget/

Vashon, WA(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the tips KaylyRed and Weedwacker!
I am going to keep an eye out on Craigslist for sure :)

(Chris) Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Is there still a seed giveaway for the newbies to DG? If you haven't been on here more than a year, I think..they used to give newcomers all kinds of seeds.. let me see if I can find it :)

BRB

Edited to add the thread for the seed giveaway

here it is :)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1223246/?hl=seed+giveaway

This message was edited Mar 2, 2012 4:59 PM

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Hey ClanCampbell, try Rick Corey he's DG's seed vault keeper for the newbees, and I'll bet you know that by now.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Yup -- Corey is the keeper of seeds this year... great guy.

FreeCycle is a great way to find plants... i gave a bunch away a few weeks ago.... Too bad i live so far from Milw.
You could even try the Plant Trading forum.... there are generally folks happy to give away plants for just postage.
You can generally get a large box for about 12bucks.

Vishal -- good luck on your new garden and Happy Gardening.

Terese

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I just thought to raise the thread some

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.