Need suggestions for a bird hater/neighbor

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

My best friend lives next door to a crazy man! LOL She feeds birds and probably has 6 or so feeders on that side of her yard. They are placed near her kitchen window and bedroom window so she can watch the yellow finches, etc.

He purchased the house next door about 3 years ago. He immediately cut down every tree and shrub in the yard (which by the way was my former home - it was great living next door to your high school BF). Then he started putting up large owls. One day I was helping her fill feeders and he walked up the driveway to his house and I just asked why he hated birds.....the answer is "they poop all over your car". I asked how he prevented that when driving/parking at other places but he didn't respond. The is around 8 feet or more between the feeders and his driveway - which is long and he could park at the lower end of the driveway and be 40 feet from the feeders - better yet, park in the garage!

She has been ill so I went to fill up her feeders yesterday and nearly had a fit. When I got within 10 feet of her chain link fence a loud screetching sound came from a motion sensor on the side of his house. I then noticed these metal shapes hanging in his house windows, on his car windows, and along a 'string' cable he has running down his property line. This man has serious issues. It's not like she has flocks of seaguls or eagles pooping around his house.

I just can't understand how anyone would be so flipped out over a few finch feeders. He's retired military, drives a very nice new truck & other than no desire for green life in the yard - seems quiet and to himself.

Any ideas for the nut case?
Kathy

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

what about noise violation(disturbing the peace). If his so called alarms are going off when on her own property he might can be made to move them to where they don't go off at her property boundry. She should go talk to the sheriff or local police or have them come out to see for themselves. Can't hurt!!!

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Good point Donna. I'm thinking since her bedroom is the closest room to his noise machine it could work. This man is a real nut when it comes to birds. I could see if flocks of birds came around but that is not the case. GRRRR lol
Kathy

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

I'd also contact the local Audubon Society to see if they have any suggestions.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Mrs Ed - EXCELLENT idea. Don't know how 'local' our society would be but I will look into this. It's just so crazy. I know people have fears of things - me, a gardener, and I have a fear of frogs. But you deal with it - you see one, scream, and it's over. It's just the strangest things. My friend is 52, just went through major surgery that required a teaching hospital's expertise, spend months off work and spent 20+ years with a terrible disease - she is doing extremely well now that she's had the surgery and hopes to return to work Tue. Her adult children live states away from her and she is dealing with aging parents (80s). She feels joy with her birds, as I do, but she is more detailed and will not let a feeder go below half way or she feels bad about it - even with her poor health. I just want to kick that 'ol turds butt.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

the pacifist's way out would be to move the feeders to the other side of the property and then put up a big scarecrow type thing right where the motion detector hits it. she could go away for a time period when she knows he's home.......

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Every time you hear the siren go off, throw a kilo or two of cheap bird seed into his garden. All the local starlings, cowbirds, grackles, crows, gulls, etc., will soon learn to associate the siren with food, and will turn up in huge flocks and (with luck!) cr@p all over his car . . . ;-))

Resin

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i thought i posted something here but it's blank.
spooky!

This message was edited Feb 15, 2012 8:15 PM

Kingston, ON

Resin you have come up with the best solution yet. I think it is great.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Resin that is the BEST !!!!! I love it LOL

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks so much for this post……Resin….Thats a Great Idea!….Lovin' that!!

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Brilliant Resin!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.