Atumn Containers onto Spring.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

We came from here; http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1222930/

Meet Foghorn Leghorn who finds my garden one fine day this winter while All the Japonica Camellias are blooming.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Spring is near every year when these camellias are in its full glory.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Another view;

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I have learned to love camellias. The Gardield Park Conservatory caused me to become addicted two years ago. They cannot really be grown outside here, so they were unfamilair to me. Thank you so much for sharing yours. Lovely things!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Welcome back Donna. I'm glad you've found Camellias and enjoy them.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Looking forward to spring.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Lovely lily... mother said it's cold there today .. she's been cooler than I am here.. all winter long... today is quite cold here.. well not cold for feb and winter.. but there's no real winter yet here...
Camellias are great there... the water always makes for such a nice background for everything.. always a lot of growing and flowering on the dock.. good work...

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi Gordon, this winter is something else? Yesterday it was quite cold for what seems like the first time. It was in the 30'ish although with the wind factor, it felt much colder. Jan. was an unusual 'warm' month. But, Feb. is here ... a little bit more winter will be lingering no doubt. Next time you come home to see mother, won't you holler at us, Jim and I would love to meet up with you again for coffee at the Botanical garden tour. Thanks for the compliment.

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

sure thing Lily.. I'd love to make the botanical garden tour again..
So.. have you tried or grown a stictocardia.... I've tried here .. it gets real big but no flowers... I think it's a late season bloomer.. and by that time it 's too cold here... Iv'e some seeds from Reunion Island... that Jacques sent.. I'll give it another try this year...

Thumbnail by GordonHawk
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

No, I haven't tried that stictocardia. Though, it looks different. I've tried Rangoon Creeper for several years. Though, the growing season is longer here. Still it isn't seem looong enough for those to put out flowers for me. :((

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Another container, this one in the shade.

Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love
BROOKFIELD, Australia

Quote from Lily_love :
Another view;

Love Foghorn and the plants - it is an early spring this year in USA isn't it?

BROOKFIELD, Australia

Quote from Lily_love :
Looking forward to spring.

Love your view!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Many thanks biddy52. How is the weather there in Brookfield Australia? Yes, Spring seems to flirt with us a bit. It was quite warm yesterday. Temp. drops back to the cooler side tonite.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Lily the dock looks enticing as always. I love Camellias although I don't have one, they really looked great down here this year, starting to lose the blooms now, they peaked earlier this month.

I found a wine barrel in someone's trash heap this past week. I turned my Jeep back around and picked it up. It is actually an older one and really heavy, I can't believe someone threw it out. Already put some flowers in it. I'll post a photo once I download them.

Spring is "flirting" with us...very well put. Got cool here the last couple days and very high winds. Today still on the gloomy cool side. But the rain is very welcome...so needed in Florida.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks Sherri. Half-whiskey barrel make great container planting for the large volume will reduce the need to water for our Southern climate -- in US. We're in our raining-season down here this time of year. Wished it would rain more during the summer due to the heat and all. I find myself working out in the garden more and more ... will have new pics. to share in the near future.

BROOKFIELD, Australia

Quote from Lily_love :
Many thanks biddy52. How is the weather there in Brookfield Australia? Yes, Spring seems to flirt with us a bit. It was quite warm yesterday. Temp. drops back to the cooler side tonite.

Actually, wet and humid today, after three days over 37 degrees Celsius so we are enjoying the reprieve. I have cousins in USA - California and Arkansas and they have both commented on bulbs flowering early.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

It's nice to have moisture in a hot day. Do you get drought often there? Yes like California Arkansas and other States, flowers are popping out like gangs buster here too.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Here is my barrel...sorry about the DH's ladder in the background...his junk is everywhere. ☺

Thumbnail by sunkissed
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

A very nice red-white and blue theme there Sherri. I'm gravitated to more container planting this past year. Will add some more pics. to share soon.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Little by little, one (container) is up after another. It has been raining quite heavily today...so no new ones being made at the present. What's I've here are just the beginning. Enjoy.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Clematis ect...

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

The good side of the clematis pot.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Combo planting in big container, this one is equivalent to the half whiskey barrel, maybe a tad bigger.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Others;

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Last, will post more as things come together.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Pix today;

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Clematis in container, 'Nelly Moser' clematis.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

This is a half-whiskey barrel trelis for two clematis, top planting with beebalms;

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I never realized that you could grow clematis in a container. How nice!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Good morning Donna. In our region where the soil above ground won't free over. Container growing is feasible, my Clematis and other container growing of certain perennials do fine. The containers selection is important too, I've to be careful and choose those that can withstand the elements. Wooden planters are nice, but they will deteriorate after a few years so I've learnt. These are barrels that are close to 7-8 years of age. I'll soon have to transplant them to new pots for the wood is breaking down. My clems. are roughly 4-5 years of age.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I have container plants that I move into the garage, against the back wall, in the winter. I moved last December and wanted to take a lot of pants with me, so I containerized them in October, moved them into my new garage in December, and have been taking them out and planting them. Everything survived, which really pleased me. Now I have discovered that the three unknown plants growing on the fence are sweet autumn clematis. Not what I would have chosen, but it is giving me some experience working with the plant, and of course here it is hardy in the winter.

I would have chosen something like your Nelly Moser. Lovely!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I do not know for instance if hybrid Clem. in zone 5a will withstand the element, Donna. I've a sister that lives in Maryland, which is zoned 7a. I wouldn't recommend her to plant clematis there in containers, so I'll treat you as family (i.e. my sister) and won't give you bad advice. ^_^

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Down South, I've the flexibility to treat containers gardening in a more relaxed method. For hardy perennials? I used container deep enough to conserve watering time, and avoid drying out too quickly. We do not have much freezing issues down here, however, the humidity and heat during the summer is something we've got to take in considerations.

On the right, is a container that houses my dwarf crepe myrtle; it's almost like an authentic "bonsai" and it's left outdoor year round. On the center however, the more shallow pot is reserved for annuals that serve to provide colorful interest, but will need to be redone every spring. For right now, I've only an ornamental pepper growing in that pot.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Various ornamental containers are on the making, to include some beginner-bonsais.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

How adorable of you to treat me like family!

If I did do it, I would put them in containers and put them in the garage. Raulston Arboretum sends me plants that are not hardy. So I put them in pots for a couple of years, overwinter them in my garage, and let them attain some size. If the plant is wonderful enough, like this hydrangea serrata shishiva they gave me, it goes into a self watering pot and spends every year in the garage.

It is so beautiful and delicate, that although I would probably not have purchased it, it became one of my most cherished plants.

They just sent me two more quite rare hydrangeas. I'm one of those crazy gardeners who will do what is necessary for a cherished plant (and I have a really big garage!)

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

New Spring planting of the group out on the floating pier. I try to extend the 'butterfly garden' out here by planting some hostplant for butterflies besides the colorful annuals/perennials to attract hummingbirds as well.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

How about liliums in containers? Why not?

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Beginner Bonsai; a dwarf cotoneaster.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Lily and Donna, hello. I am moving from cold and strange z, 6 to hot and strange z. 8. I thought I knew what would grow well in a container .....in Boston....but when I think about Texas (Dallas) I'm stumped. We are only renting for a few years, and not allowed to make changes, so I am totally limited to containers. I guess I will plant big plastic or synthetic pots with callibrachoa or maybe succulents? I'm not sure what the policy is on watering and I'm not sure if folks listen to the policy! I would also like to grow some container vegetables, if I can do it. I missed the spring containers in New England because I was in Texas looking for a house! Plus it's still too cold to sit out and admire them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.