Anyone have seeds for Canna Maculata?

Houston, PA(Zone 6a)

Sometimes called Cinnabrina? Lost my tubers to a rodent last winter and would like to replace. Also looking for Canna Edulis. I can swap for tubers of Tama Tulipa or do postage. Thanks! Rox

Thumbnail by roxxanne Thumbnail by roxxanne
Brisvegas, Australia(Zone 12b)

If I had any I would be more than happy to send you some.
Unfortunately I don't have either.

Houston, PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks anyways, Ginger!

I love collecting seeds but never grow them on.
There is a certain kind of satisfaction in passing on ones seeds.

Thumbnail by ginger749

A close up of Canna seed pods.

Thumbnail by ginger749

I have never found viable seeds in Tropicanna pods.

Thumbnail by ginger749
Houston, PA(Zone 6a)

From what I understand Tropicana is sterile. I'm not sure if the pollen can be used on other cannas or if it is sterile also, maybe someone else can chime in.

What seeds do you have, something that I need possibly???? I'm sure I have something you need!

Thumbnail by roxxanne

You'r last picture, is that your Tropicanna ?

Australia and USA don't allow seed or plant matter exchange.
Otherwise I would more than happy to send you any seed I have here. ♣
Even if Corms were sent Air mail to you.
They would probably freeze to death in the Aircraft hold during the 15 hour flight.

kell.

Thumbnail by ginger749
Houston, PA(Zone 6a)

Yeah that's Topicana.

Dummy me, I didn't look to see where you were in the world. Some of the prettiest cannas come from down under.

You are always welcome to visit me here Down Under.
You can then take as many seeds as you like. ;o)

kell.

Thumbnail by ginger749
Houston, PA(Zone 6a)

I'm afraid if I came to visit I wouldn't come back, at least not for a long time.

I'm sure you would fill your pockets with seeds all the same.

I was in Canada last year, you can read about it towards the end of this Thread..
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1231220/
I bought me my next Home to retire to.
What do you think of it ¿

Thumbnail by ginger749
Houston, PA(Zone 6a)

Where in Canada? It looks beautiful!

It's at the mouth of the Mendenhall Glacier. ^_^

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

yes tropicanna is sterile, the only way to get one is from roots. many hybrid cannas will also be sterile. Growing a canna from seed your not garenteed to get anything like the mother plant. Infact any combination that went into making that plant you can end up with. if you want a canna that is like the mother plant only way is from a root piece.

Having said that i love growing cannas from seeds. I for example planted 8 red stripe seeds last summer and only one was the purple color the rest were green. I like that i get a bunch to choose from and pic my favorite and the ones that dont work get tossed.

I only have cannas grown from seed, since i moved to the US from canada and wasn't able to bring my collection with me. I had to start over. Seeds so far were all i had. Abutilon a member here has a great selection of seeds for sale if your interested, i've ordered some from her in the past and had great luck with them. http://growingcannasfromseed.blogspot.com/ hope that helps
jen

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

Roxxanne,
I just ran into your post, I have the red/yellow canna edulis and red indica seeds.
If you are still interested.

Houston, PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the reply! I bought seeds from Alice so I think I have enough for now.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.