It's almost here: the 201Connecticut Flower and Garden Show

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

In 2 weeks (February 23) the 2012 Connecticut Flower and Garden Show opens at the Connecticut Convention Center in Hartford.

If it is an easy trip for you, it is definitely worth attending. Lots of stuff to learn and all things of stuff to buy, including seeds, bulbs and special garden tools You get to bend the ears of local vendors and learn as others describe their garden challenges. You can even bring a friend who doesn't garden. There are lots of lovely floral displays and landscaping, not to mention the non-garden goodies being hawked.

Thomaston, CT

Cathy, is the Convention Center downtown? Or is it off I-91?

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

For me I think it is right off I-91. The address is 100 Columbus Boulevard 06103. I make the GPS do the thinking, and I only go once a year. I always go on Thursday and get a $2 senior discount.

Marcia

Thomaston, CT

Thanks, Marcia, I think I know where it is...have no GPS, and I really don't like to go into Hartford....

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

I don't think it's downtown.

I hope everyone checks up on their own Flower and Garden Shows. I know the ones that follow are in Boston and Philadelphia and there is probably a show within about 2 hours of most of the Northeast gardeners.

My favorite thing is finding stuff that is hard to find elsewhere and not always on the internet. Last year I got a new bulb auger, but the best buy was a razor-edge shovel that everyone loves.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

great news about Flower and Garden show,a true sighn of spring. Ours is usually the second week of March.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

Cleveland already had their Home and Garden show. I haven't gone the couple of years because it's mostly about homes.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

NJ flower show started today, hope I feel well enough to go tomorrow

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Boston is March 14-18. I know this because I am in it. RI flower show is this weekend also, Feb 23-26. Very easy to get to. great parking at their convention center right off of Rt 95. Some friends of mine from boston are judging at Philly which is March 4-11. Portland Maine is March 8-11. All worthy shows. especially portland now that they don't have it in a tent anymore. in the mud.
Come on down to one or more. At Boston, look for my entries in Amateur Horticulture way at the back of the hall! The camel ponytail palm will be going in!
Martha

This message was edited Feb 22, 2012 9:11 AM

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Here he is in all his flower show glory.
Martha

Thumbnail by gardenmart
Thomaston, CT

Wow....don't think I've ever seen one before....

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Martha, you're going to be some busy bee. Love that pony tail plant.

We have 2 kinds of displays at the Connecticut show: one is a competition of beautiful floral and/or something else* displays; the other is comprised of some of the landscapers showing off their products. We also have soil testing from the Agriculture Group of the University of Connecticut.

Can't wait for tomorrow!

*Something else: driftwood, sparklers, wire, etc.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

My camel plant is a chunk of ponytail palm caudex that was deformed on the original plant. A friend from the Cactus and Succulent plant society cut it off of his and sold it to me at their plant sale. I rooted it. It took two years to root. At this flower show, it won a blue ribbon and a Cultural Certificate for being in the category
".plant over 1 year old, propagated by the exhibitor " By the time of this show 2010 Boston, It was at least 5 years old.
Martha

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

You certainly did a lot of things right, and your patience really paid off.

Enthusiasm is contagious! I hope everything goes right for you at this year's show(s). You deserve bragging rights.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

I give all credit to the "camel" I only admit to checking it very infrequently over the two years to see if it had rooted. I try to leave things alone. They grow better that way.
Martha

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

The Boston show is next weekend! You can be sure I'll be looking for your palm, martha.

Thomaston, CT

There was a bus trip offered from the neighboring town...however, even though it only cost $60, I would have to put the dog in the kennel from Fri. night to Mon. morn......too expensive :>(

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.