Orchid Terrarium

Hammonton, NJ(Zone 6b)

Decided to tear down a fish tank (well ... the seam had sprung a leak) and set up a terrarium for some of my favorite orchids. Took exactly 5 hours and 15 minutes to set up. All I need now is the cork background, and a fogger/ misting system and of course some sort of insect/ amphibian to go with it! I plan to get a trio of poison dart frogs (only worry is that they could damage the orchids) or a pair of orchid mantis. At this moment, I'm leaning towards the latter.

What do you all think so far?!

Thumbnail by Franco24
Hammonton, NJ(Zone 6b)

Plant list:

Dendrophylax lindenii
Sophronitis Coccinea
Tolumnia 'Genting Angel' (X2)
Psychopsiella limminghei
Dendrophylax funalis
NOID masdevallia

The only other thing I might add a bulbophyllum moniliforme once the weather warms up to place an order.

Thumbnail by Franco24
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

That's gorgeous, Franco. Well done! Are the little Ghost orchids still hanging on, ok? You've created a great looking little jungle there for them.

I've got several Tolumnias, they're really great little plants, and bloom easily and generously. FYI, the two in the right hand pic came from Lowe's for $7. They may even be at your Lowe's too, as they were being sold indoors in the tropical plants area.

This message was edited Feb 10, 2012 11:45 AM

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Hammonton, NJ(Zone 6b)

There are 14 little ghosts amongst all that spanish moss, all still alive and well. I absolutely love tolumnia but have NEVER seen them at my lowes or HD. I got the one I have (and divided it) online for 20$ ... It wasn't even in spike at the time.

I want more but can't justify spending 20$ on an orchid that I have seen go for 7$ elsewhere.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

That looks like a nice piece of grape vine there Franco. It is treasured around these parts. Nice job overall. It looks great.

Jim

Hammonton, NJ(Zone 6b)

Did a little more re-arranging. I think im happy with it now!

Thumbnail by Franco24
Hammonton, NJ(Zone 6b)

Didn't realize that pic came out a little blurry ...
Here's a clearer shot.

Thumbnail by Franco24
Hammonton, NJ(Zone 6b)

Time for a small update! The terrarium is coming together rather nice. All it's missing is a Lepanthes calodictyon and It'll be "complete"

Plant list:
Dendrophlax funalis
Dendrophylax lindenii
Max. sophronitis
Max. variabilis
Psychopsiella limminghei
Sophronitis coccinea
Tolumnia Genting Angel
... and Spanish Moss

Not sure if I want an insect or amphibian companion yet. I might just leave it be with only orchids.

Thumbnail by Franco24
Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Franco, I think it would be wise to skip the critters. They require fresh water and food, plus they might either tear up or eat your orchids.

Hammonton, NJ(Zone 6b)

Time for some updates! (Sorry for my temporary MIA, I had some personal issues come up at the same time my DG subscription expired!) I've got many new plants in the terrarium along with good news as for the ghosts!

Since the last update I've removed a couple plants and added others. The current list consists of:

Dendrophlax funalis
Dendrophylax lindenii
Max. sophronitis
Psychopsiella limminghei
Sophronitis coccinea
Tolumnia 'Genting Angel'
Sophronitis cernua
Bulbophyllum monolilforme
Chiloschista segawae
Tolumnia velutinum
... and Spanish Moss

And *drumroll please* the Dendrophylax (Polyrrhiza) lindenii all have nice green root tips! Some are even beginning to attach to the mounts!

Now for the pictures!

Full terrarium shot:

Thumbnail by Franco24
Hammonton, NJ(Zone 6b)

Bulb monolilforme:
Look at how tiny this bugger is compared to the spanish moss.

Thumbnail by Franco24
Hammonton, NJ(Zone 6b)

Dendrophylax funalis:
with a little green nub emerging from the center spoke.

Thumbnail by Franco24
Hammonton, NJ(Zone 6b)

Chiloschista segawae:

Thumbnail by Franco24
Hammonton, NJ(Zone 6b)

Dendrophylax (Polyrrhiza) lindenii:
this is just one of the mounts with about 10 individual plants on it. There are other plants mounted on the big wood pieces doing just as well.

Thumbnail by Franco24
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Very interesting project, Franco. I'm sure most of us will enjoy what is to come. Good growing!

Jim

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

That's an amazing little slice of jungle you've created there, Franco. Way to take care of those touchy little 'chids!

Can't wait to see how it goes through the summer!

Elaine

Hammonton, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks Elaine! I hope i can get some blooms. On a side note, my spathoglottis has sprouted about 10 new growths!

Hammonton, NJ(Zone 6b)

The terrarium is slowly progressing along! I've added a few orchids, and took a few out, and just yesterday decided to mount some ferns.
What do you all think?

Thumbnail by Franco24 Thumbnail by Franco24 Thumbnail by Franco24 Thumbnail by Franco24 Thumbnail by Franco24
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

It looks like you have constructed a tropical habitat in the middle of New Jersey. It looks very lush and I think the orchids will love it. Good job!

Jim

Hammonton, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thank you! Here are a couple more pictures ...

Thumbnail by Franco24 Thumbnail by Franco24 Thumbnail by Franco24 Thumbnail by Franco24 Thumbnail by Franco24
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

It's really neat, Franco. Those ghosts look really fat and sassy. If they don't bloom they are being lazy!

Hammonton, NJ(Zone 6b)

I sure hope so! I'm going on 6 ghosts. A friend of mine got me a blooming sized lindenii for my graduation gift. I just about screamed when he told me. That'll be here sometime next week.

On another note ... this little guy arrived today after a long trip all the way from Ecuador:
Lepanthes calodictyon

This message was edited May 17, 2012 2:42 PM

Thumbnail by Franco24
Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

You're really getting some unusual ones! Who (but an orchid geek) would ever guess that Lepanthes calodictyon was an orchid? Not an impressive flower, but oh those leaves! Great find!

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Ohhh Franco you are too much...LOL !!!! I really like how the terrarium has turned out. On another note; I've been up since 5:30 am. So excited for Redlands !!!!!!!!

Hammonton, NJ(Zone 6b)

My new Dendrophylax lindenii has arrived!
This is a well established NBS plant; hopefully i'll see some flowers in the near future.

Thumbnail by Franco24 Thumbnail by Franco24

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.