View my E Z worm roller

Frankfort, KY(Zone 6a)

I saw plans for a worm bed that looked interesting. Check this site...
http://www.ecoyardfarming.com/ezwormcomposter/
The great thing is this system makes it easy to harvest the worm poo.
I liked the idea but I'm too cheap to spring for the plans he sells.
So I started drawing circles on a some scrap plywood I had and found that a 28" circle with aprox 17" loped off the bottom and 10 1/2" off the top would fit on a 48" piece of plywood.
The box can be as long as you would like. Mine is 24"
The two sides are 16"x 24"
Bottom is 21 1/2"x 24"
Top 17 x 24"

Thumbnail by rentman Thumbnail by rentman
Frankfort, KY(Zone 6a)

Next:
First is the top set on two rods that hold it off the worm bedding.
Then a view of the top removed.

Frankfort, KY(Zone 6a)

This is detail of how the bottom is connected.

Frankfort, KY(Zone 6a)

And the connector I used.
I will add screen inside after it is painted, (must ask my wife what color).............

Thumbnail by rentman
Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

way to go rentman.. im going to make temporary greenhouse this yr
but that i can use yr after yr..
i sure appreciate everyones handiness/skills/creativeness that are posted here
gives me great ideas..id probably never come up with on my own.. LOL

Brownfield, ME(Zone 4b)

Wow, great job. Keep us informed how it works.

Frankfort, KY(Zone 6a)

I have put screen on the bottom vent holes and painted it.
I put it in my green house and transferred the worms to it.
Taking out as much of the worm poo as I could. I was glad to see so many worms, I may split the worms in two boxes.
There are only my wife and I here and we eat out a lot so I feed them coffee grounds from Starbucks and some of the rabbit poo.
I will use the worm poo I have to start my vegs for the garden, mixing it with some soil.

Question....does the worm poo loose quality when it dries out ? Any one know for sure ?

Helena, MT

rentman, I would be inclined to believe that vermicompost is mostly organic nitrogen and therefore viable for several years. Ammonia nitrogen is lost rather quickly if you store it in the open, but I don't believe there is much of this in any vermicompost process. I place mine in covered five gallon buckets until ready to use, but I doubt that it ever sits more than a couple of months before I use it.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

rentman,

If you keep it in covered buckets with lids, it shouldn't dry out too much. I always make sure mine has some moisture content just to keep the microbes happy.
that is a cool design on the worm bin. I was looking at HD for that wood screw with the threaded top w/wing nut. Couldn't find it there. Does it go by any particular name?
thanks, Steve

Frankfort, KY(Zone 6a)

Steve they are called 'Hanger Bolt With Wood Screw and Thread'
I had some left over from a passed project but HD should have them, and a wing nut to fit.
I made my bin from 1/2" ply but the bottom should be of 3/4" , mine is sagging.

Good luck

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

OK, great thanks. I see them online at boltdepot.com if HD doesn't have them.

Do you have your bottom drilled out with holes for drainage? I am leery of a wood container. Think I will line mine with plastic and then make a lot of ventilation holes.

Frankfort, KY(Zone 6a)

I have a number of 1/2" holes in the bottom, covered with nylon window screen, holes in the top the same. More air the better.
I used regular construction ply, it's water proff, painted inside and out, may last 5 years.
I have a plastic toot lid under it to catch excess water.
I keep the worm bin very moist.

Helena, MT

Steve, I keep lids on my buckets to keep PK (cat) from using it as a 'sand box'. The idea of keep the vermicompost moist to conserve microbes never crossed my mind. Excellent point.

Byron, GA

rentman, it looks like the top will fall off and the contents will spill when you turn it over. What prevents that?

Frankfort, KY(Zone 6a)

In my second post there are two bars shown going across the bin, these are removed and the lid is put on top of the worms and content of the bin.
The bars, rods are then slid in over the top, which holds the top 'next to' the worms.
Then the bin is rolled over and the bottom removed.
I hope this helps.

Byron, GA

Thanks rentman. That answers my question. I saw the rods and assumed they went under the top.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.