Can wood pallets be used for wood flooring?

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

I'm wondering if I could use wood pallets for flooring, (taking them apart of course :)
and then paint them white and distress them with a light sanding, and then coat with an acrylic urethane.
Has anyone had any experience with using wood pallets for flooring or with a white painted floor?
Any other ideas for a cheap floor? It will be going in a 900 sq ft upstairs with 2 kids bedrooms, a guest bedroom, a bathroom and a small living room/play area.
I really don't want to spend a lot of money on flooring as these rooms are rather small and by the time I get furniture in there you won't be able to see a lot of floor anyway. I'd rather spend my money downstairs.
I seen the threads on brown bagging, but I don't think my husband would go for that. Might do it anyway! cheap flooring anyone?

This thread has 38 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!