CLOSED: Longing for Spring, February Chat

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Where is Winter? So far we've only had a 1/2" dusting. Makes me want to get out there but know March can be a brutal month. What's everybody up to and which seeds, plants and bulbs would you like to try this year? And which ones did you try last year that for one reason or another didn't meet your expectations?

Everyone is welcome to join us! The more the merrier.

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1235499/

Wish lists:
deejay9 / Susie: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8958323

May have for others:
deejay9 / Susie : http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8959041

This message was edited Feb 7, 2012 6:50 PM

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine
Caddo Mills, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm trying all the different seeds that I have bought over the years with good intentions. Hopeful some of them will be nice to me and grow. lol

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

1 to 3 inches of snow predicted here today. We shall see..

St. Annaparochie, Netherlands

Is that a tulip on the picuture??? In november I planted some bulbs of tulips. It is cold, here in Holland, the tulips are still in the soil. The daffodils made a quick start, in januari, but now also are waiting for warmer temperatures. I long for the moment the tulips and daffodils bloom.
I started with sowing Brugmansia's and Canna's. Now I will take my seed box by looking for beautiful perennials.
Other years I sowed many annuals. That cost me a lot of time every year. Who has good suggestions?

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

afternoon all flint change over to perennial for your zone you will find they are less work , if ya can keep the weeds out ;))
i just got my seed order from seedman yesterday i forget what all i ordered will list them when i go out to the house .
just came in to sit with daddy while jim works on my car .
Garage want $176. to change a $12.00 part & Jim said no way he will change it for me :0 so it is costing me for the part witch he just went to get ,& i will fix super :).

well off to marinade the chicken back later

Flinter, that's a pic of Tulip 'Mickey Mouse' either last year or the year before. I have some up now about 4" with buds starting to form. How close are you to the fields? It would be awesome to see pics of them and blooms from your garden too. Catalogs make me want a whole field myself.

We're having the same, Susie, with steamed veggies.

(Ang) Bremerton, WA(Zone 8b)

I'm excited for Spring. I started some Kenaf and Rosella Hibiscus :D Already germinating.

Good for you, Ang. How your BF's father doing?

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Here I am!

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

oh gosh I thought you were CLOSED and freaked out! LOL

Okay Fruity, how come you have things blooming? I am warmer than you, right?
Gosh, who ever said that squirrels won't dig up your tulips if you plant daffodils around them is full of you know what cuz they dug up all the daffodils I planted.. PFFFTTT
I would LOVE a field of tulips..
ANyhoo, i AM BACK.. and have so many seeds sprouting it is crazy.. the window ledge in bedroom is getting full..Anyone heard from Sandy?

Athens, PA

I think poor Sandy is grieving. I have been wondering about Sandy as well.

well I found a packet with her address on it, so I am going to send her a card with some seeds, maybe gardening will get her thru all this sadness, it does me when ever I have ANY problems.. just go and Garden my worries and problems away for awhile.. I used to think it was a bad addiction, until I talked to a therapist and she told me it was theraputical to be addicted to Gardening..

Thumbnail by joeswife
San Bernardino, CA(Zone 9a)

I sent her a dmail a few days ago but haven't heard back. I hope she's ok

My BF's Dad is doing good and is going to physical therapy regularly. They still need prayers since they are now facing other issues.

St. Annaparochie, Netherlands

FruitOfTheVine: I live in an area with a farmers. Tulip farmers, in my area don't have a lot of land of their own, often they rent fields from other farmers. So it is possible to have a tulip field next to my house (oh, I hope so...).In spring, when the sun shines en there is no wind, you can smel the tulip field and here the bee's and other insects. I will take a picture for you.

That sounds lovely, Flinter.

LOL Debra. I actually enjoyed weeding a couple of weeks ago. Need to start mulching again to help keep them at bay.

(Chris) Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

I've been lurking on this one for awhile, but thought I'd poke my head out of my corner :)

I'm not sure who all I told last summer about my crazy son deciding to grow plants from seed, which he had NEVER done before.. and the knucklehead had great success with tropicals, of all things!

Well, he had a ton of flowerheads from some celosia and he planted them a couple of weeks ago.. and they are now sprouting. The last I heard from him was this morning and he has counted 175 plants so far ROFL!! He said they're sprouting about 4 plants an hour LOL..

I may be offering free plants later this spring ^_^ He has 4 trays of seed and he said only about 1/4 of one tray has all these little plants LOL

oh Chris that is so exciting..!
well we have a nice wet snow all over everything, and I planted 6 more water bottles of Moonflower vine seeds, so those are now in the other south window.

Will be making seed balls soon, I have two kinds of celosias.. yellow and fuchia pampas blooms. Red cockscomb, too.

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Hi everyone, they are predicting BAD weather for us, snow, and really really cold and windy, but we will see. I have plants pushing thru on the west side, some daffs and surprise lilies both I noticed last weekend! Not good, now we are looking at single digits.

Oh I bet the tulip fields are amazing Flinter, we have tulip fields in Iowa just north of where I live in Pella, Iowa. Nothing like you have but very pretty. http://www.pellatuliptime.com/

I haven't done many seed starts ever, but have managed to collected alot of seeds....rofl. I say every year I am going to start some, but not having water in the garden room really makes it hard, altho DH is talking about buying a backhoe to do some other work and the carrot he put out for me is that we could run a water line to the garden room......which would be heaven. Nothing like hauling 2 buckets of water thru the dark night, cold, and windy.....to make you not do it....

How come I did not know about this thread,,,,,

poor Elfie sitting in Corner,, very bad Elfie

oh, we got snow.. about an inch when melted.. 6 inches on top of the car this am.. it is almost gone now.. that would be a good thing, Joyce, getting water to the garden room.. I have hoses and hook ups downstairs for a washer, so I use it, since I don't have a washer down there.. I fill a big blue tub, add my stuff and use big pitchers..

Elfie! You are HERE! :D
I ate all the chocolate pomegranite candy that was sent to me in the SSS swap, and now that container is holding a special hybrid coleus seeds. Hope it sprouts soon!

Thumbnail by joeswife
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Elfie - you are not bad silly girl. Just needed a thread where we could chat when there was a lull in the trading. :D

Glad you're back. Get out of that corner.

xox
A.

Welcome elffie:) we welcome new chatterers :))))

Susie, do I owe you some seeds, I have lost my list of promised to sends.. you wanted some japanese morning glorys, didn't you want some jewel of opar seeds?

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

I'm lurking...to stay connected.

{{{{{{{NEENER}}}}}

Look everyone,,
Goober is growing up,,,whaaaaaa,, I want my pretty baby back.....

Thumbnail by Thumbnail by

awwww.. looks like she is still a pretty baby... you havn't lost her Elfie, she is just improvin'!

She is beautiful. I've always called my nephew Goober. He's almost old enough to drive and is still a Goober. They have birthdays but are still our babies.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Kris she looks so sweet! Yes she does look some kind of fancy and maybe a little taller than when I saw her last. :D

I'll bet she's still just the charming-est Goober there is.

A.

Goober is much taller! But still tiny for her age. She will be 12 @ the RU in VA! She will be so happy to see you.

DEBRA I HAVEN'T RECEIVED ANY AS OF YET BUT OUR MAIL HAS NOT GOTTEN HERE YET oops sorry for cap.
our mail comes about 2 pm so will let you know after that .
well off to do my hair then fix daddys lunch & put a carrot cake in the oven ;0

Cold and over cast today. This may be our winter finally showing up. I don't know if we will get any moisture out of this. Yesturday it was in the 80's. Our weather is so crazy sometimes that I worry my WSing will just get confused and give up.

anyone wanting to join us come on over
INTEREST THREAD PERENNIAL PLANT SWAP 'APRIL TILL SEPT "
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1241178/

definately winter here, snow, below freezing temps and wind.. ugh. more to come, sleet, rain and ice. My feet hurt. I have two pairs of socks on.

OMG. It is going to be 20 degrees tonight here!!! I am staying in my bed room it is the easiest room to heat!! They need to install a new heater for the house and it will not be here till next week,, so we are using space heaters for now.....cold here,, burrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Blackshear, GA

Cold here too, suppose to be 23 tonight and tomorrow night....coldest we have had so far. The wind has been howling all day and they said wind chill would be around 17....DOUBLE BRRR!

My son and I had a yard sale yesterday and today to start getting rid of some of the 'junk' we have accumulated over the years. A lot of stuff did not make the move, just don't have the room anymore and it needed to be passed on anyway...a lot of toys and my babies are 16 & 19 so they don't need those anymore. Daughter turned 16 Wednesday and went on her first date tonight. My poor husband is going nuts!!

Everyone try to stay warm!!

Rest In Peace, Whitney Houston... so sad, only 48, and such a beautiful voice.

I thought I'd share something with y'all. Since I started dating my best friend I've gone girl. I'm pretty sure the tomboy in me got a beat down in the process. I've grown my nails out, started painting them, bought a pretty girly dress, and even tried mane & tail to make my hair look better. Hilarious really. I think my family is a bit surprised.

In gardening news I have Kenaf and Roselle Hibiscus sprouts! They haven't gotten their first leaves yet. I have golden jubilee sprouts. I planted my misc hibiscus seeds in hopes of them germinating. Hoping to find Cajun Hibiscus cuttings or seeds for fairly cheap, but turns out I'm TOO cheap lol.

In relation to the temps, I think my thermostat is broken because it says 67 and yet I'm freezing.

I Love my electric infrared heater it sure Heats my little place here for back up I Have a MR Buddy Propane Heater & it works well
Its about 20* outside & 72 here in the house with just my space heater & This was once a 2 car garage :) 24x24 & Is heated with the infrared heater. our electric bill went up about $20-25 a month . much better then $200. for gas.
well time for this gal to turn in GN All

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.