Abandoned Amaryllis

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

Help :). Back in July I was given my Mom's Christmas Amaryllis bulbs, a pot of three which had been put outside after it finished blooming. There were leaves still growing. I sent it to myself (NY to SC) and stuck it outside in the shade beside the porch. At some point, the chickens removed the leaves, and dumped much of the dirt, maybe in Sept. At that time I brought it inside intending to deal with it, stuck it in the guest bathroom, and promptly forgot about it. Bad me. Well, I've found it again. All three bulbs are showing growth, but because it's been in a dark room, the growth is very pale. One appears to be a flower, the other two have leaves.
Now what? I'm planning to add dirt and water first, and then gradually introduce it to light. Or, can I just put it into The Light? I guess it has to remain inside, as we're vacillating on temperatures outside.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Boy, can I ever relate! (I discovered a daffodil bulb trying to come up underneath a big pot of paperwhites just yesterday! Moved the pot--and there's an extremely yellow, bent-over and struggling Gigantic Star daffodil shoot!) I'd say move it into light--but morning light at first if you have a choice. Don't expect a whole lot from it this time, though--it probably didn't get to store up much energy with the year it had fighting off chickens!

Good luck!!

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

Giggle. Thanks, I no longer feel so alone:). I've put it in semi-shady place, with indirect light, and not a lot of that. In a day or so I'll start it on it's journey to the upstairs plant room. It's got good light and another Amaryllis as a companion.
Today I'll get it some dirt. It's actually greened up some.
I didn't expect anything, but one of the shoots looks like a flower. I'll be happy if they just live...

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Well, if it's got a knob at the top of the shoot, regardless of size, it's a bud. The leaves are totally different--just straps coming up. And if it makes it through all its journey so far, it sounds like it's a keeper! They're actually pretty tough little guys, really.

Best of luck!

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

OMG I found the same thing over the weekend. I had dug the 3 out of the yard and put them in a paper grocery sack totally intending on having them for Christmas time - but of course forgot about them. Opened the sack on Sunday and low and behold a bud one one of them. Put them in a glass bowl with tiny rocks and watered. (this is how I grew them last winter before they went in the yard and bloomed again). I didnt look at it today, but it seems to be doing okay as of yesterday.
I had two "dormant" for almost two years. Nothing from them. Put them in the glass/rock pot and off they took. So there is hope yet :)

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

They seem to be doing well, although I've done nothing (life has interfered along with my useless memory). Much greener now, and growing :)

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

You can lay a bulb up on a shelf and forget all about it - it will 'do it's thing' because of the energy it has stored - isn't mother nature marvelous?!!!

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

looked @ mine this morning (thinking of you) and it too is greening up. Starting to sprout a leaf too.

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

Three flowers coming from two of them - how are yours doing?

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

One has a flower spike and set of leaves, the other two are just leaves. That's okay, at least they're alive !
Should I be doing anything for them?

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

I'm not doing a thing for mine. Just keeping them watered.

Athens, PA

There is an entire forum that is devoted to amaryllis. Check it out - the people are nice and the flower pictures are gorgeous!

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

Oh!! Thank you, I didn't think to look....:)

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

I buy up as many of the spent bulbs as I can after the holidays for half price, etc. I plant them outside - the first year those won't bloom again. I have about 5-6 varieties with dozens of bulbs throughout the yard. Love the gorgeous blooms in the spring, but I also like the great strap like foliage that intermingles with ferns and hostas for a contrasting foliage.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

I do the same, Chuck - mine many are in bud right now - will be beautiful in a few days!

Athens, PA

I buy them up too, but I grow mine indoors. They go outside for the summer - amaryllis love to bake in the sun!

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
San Diego, CA

Quote from chuck7701 :

I buy up as many of the spent bulbs as I can after the holidays for half price, etc. I plant them outside - the first year those won't bloom again. I have about 5-6 varieties with dozens of bulbs throughout the yard. Love the gorgeous blooms in the spring, but I also like the great strap like foliage that intermingles with ferns and hostas for a contrasting foliage.

That is great idea to grow them with ferns and hostas. I will try that!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.