Basil Pests or Fungus?

Ferndale, MI

My basil was doing great until I introduced a fogger into a different area of the room. Now, I'm seeing a host of issues on the basil in soil, and these three pictures almost look like different problems. As a clue, I've been seeing 'gnats' everywhere that look to be a little bigger than fruit flies. I have no idea what is going on -

Help is much appreciated!

Thumbnail by geminisbro
Ferndale, MI

Picture Two

Thumbnail by geminisbro
Ferndale, MI

Picture Three

Thumbnail by geminisbro
Ferndale, MI

The best picture of the bug I could get

Thumbnail by geminisbro
Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

My guess would be fungal problems due to too much moisture.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I agree--the bugs sound like fungus gnats which typically don't show up unless there's too much water around. They don't eat plant leaves though so you may have something else going on too (3rd picture), but for sure I'd back off on your watering (the excess water will kill your basil faster than the fungus gnats could damage it)

Ferndale, MI

Will ladybugs kill fungus gnats, then? I just happen to have about 1000 of them sitting in the fridge LOL

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

I doubt it. The larva live in the soil and the adults seldom land long enough. Fungus gnats are usually a sign of soggy soil.

Ferndale, MI

Is there a safe insecticide that will work on fungus gnats?

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

The yellow sticky traps will capture the gnats. I have read that mosquito dunks can be disolved and poured in the soil for the larva, but I don' know if it works , or not. The best solution is to let the soil dry a bit.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.