CLOSED: INTEREST THREAD PERENNIAL PLANT SWAP 'APRIL TILL SEPT "

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

You know how that goes, Kathy, depending on the growing conditions. The person I got it from says hers is quite large. I don't know that it gets as large as some of the nurseries and sellers make it out to be. :-/

Yes, I have a lot of gardening books. I try to contain myself lately. But I've always been a book lover. ♥

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

Hmmmmm, that Emperess WU sounds intriguing! Wonder if the hosta swap is being set up this year. Will have to go to the swaps thread and check.

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

I think the pics of the toddlers dwarfed standing next to the Hostas are what kills me. I want babies and Hostas, not exactly in that order! Lol
can't find the pic i'm thinking of. :( but this kid will do.
Cracks me up how big this is! Lol don't even have a place picked out for it.... Or a backlog to dig the ginormous hole with. Lol i just need one.

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

OK, I need this book 'Chaos to Beauty, I seem to have the Chaos down to a fine art.....now waiting for the beauty...rofl.

If you like big hostas look at this site. It is older but there are some amazing hostas on it
http://www.hostavalley.eu/giant-hostas.html
I think this will go thru ok but if not,
hostavalley.eu/giant-hostas.html
stick the www in front.

Seems like the hosta swap maybe in June or so....can't remember, course I have received alot a beautiful hostas from all the great people in these plant swaps. Love tiny ones, big ones, huge ones, guess all of them...rofl.

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

My picture didn't post. :( trying again

Thumbnail by OutlawHeart81

I think the ones you sent me last year happ are going to come back. Even though they died back some in the heat, I kept them watered and could still see green when fall came.

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

forgive me all for not posting right now Daddys not well I'm stressed right now , so every down time i can get
I go lay back . Hospis is trying to get us some extra help , & Jim's son from wisconsi is here with us for the night ,
ya all keep chatting i will peek in again as i can & that maybe once a day if that .

off to get super ya all have a great evening
susie

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Susie, we're all here to support you and hope Daddy gets the extra help he needs. Sure doesn't sound good, girl.

For those who have participated in the Hosta swap in the past, you'll receive a D-mail from ZZTOPSOIL when it's time again. If you haven't participated, I'm sure somebody here will let you know his swap is up and running. It'll be under the Hosta Forum. I didn't play last year, darn it, but did get a few small ones from a link Elfie posted in her mini swap last year. None of mine are up yet except the NOID clump and it's always early, even earlier with our non-Winter.

(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN(Zone 6a)

The Emperess Wu sounds like a fun plant to grow. Has anyone ord4ered it?

Minnesippi, that plant is beautiful what is it? Azalea?

Kathy, that peony is breathtaking!

Susie, I hope daddy is okay. Is Jim doing better? I bet he loves having his son visit.

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

Yes Anita. It is the northern lights I picked up for $15 at the home & garden show. I have been tracking its progress. It hadnt popped yet for the show a few weeks ago but it sure is now. Its beautiful! 3ft high from the top of the pot its in. Seems to like my living room for now. Leaves are beginning to pop now.

Thumbnail by minnesippi Thumbnail by minnesippi
(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

I had three of the northern lights azaleas. Yellow, gold and pink. Mice at the gold and pink to the ground, but I still have my yellow one. It does quite well up here.

OH MY That Northern Lights Is just Beauty full . Just about time to go get daddy up for the day I'm going to let Jim sleep in for He Let me sleep all night with NO Monitor so i feel rested .
well No Nurse for us Unless We Pay $35. a Night & they will only come in 5 nights a week Not the 3 we want .
I Don't get paid for taken care of my Father How do they think I can pay anyone else.
so Jim & I are going to work it out .

windy 60 * today do i hope to play outside for a few hours lets see. well off to get the day going will try to get back in later .

susie

That's too bad deejay. Hope you and Jim can work out a good schedule for both of you. Will keep you and Daddy in my prayers.

Ms Susie, I pray you get some help for Daddy so you and Jim can rest.

Azaleas don't usually last too long here. I had one planted in the wrong place. My boys beat it to death with a basketball. It was too close to the baskeltball rim. It was the prettiest plant in my yard.

Crit, hostas are really really tough, so I am going to bet all of yours come back. I tried putting one in a pot because I was told they would make it thru the winter in a pot so we will see. It is under a maple tree that has solid roots, so if this pot works I will add some more hostas in pots. Need to remove that maple tree before it gets into the water line and under the house.....oh good another project...rofl. Always something, wish I would of known more about trees before I planted all of these.......

Evening all
Yes Happ Hosta will be ok in pots I Have about 8 of them in pots that I Take to market they have done well but you need to up grade the pots each year :))))

ty you all yes Jim & I are going to be on our own for a couple weeks yet we had to file a few paper today
to see if we can get the help . my other 2 sisters are going to be coming over during the week days 3-4 times a week to sit in with daddy so we can either get rested or go do our running.
so life is good . or it will be :)))) .

thank you for being so understanding :) back soon susie

Growing up in SC, everybody grew Azaleas, including my Mom, and we often went to Brook Green Gardens in Myrtle Beach while we were on vacation

http://www.brookgreen.org/

Down South, Azaleas make pretty evergreen hedges. After a few weeks in the Spring when the blooms are spent, they turn brown and aren't attractive at all. Just my opinion. If you love them, grown 'em to your heart's content.

I hope the paperwork you filed today, Susie, means there's help on the way soon for Daddy.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

These are in bloom for about a month here. With the use of early and late blooming varieties you can get at least a six-weeks display or longer. These are interspersed with glossy Abelia that bloom most of the summer. They were already here when we bought the house so I don't know if I'd plant them myself ... but every time this happens I tend to think so. :)

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

carol when you going on vacation ??? looks as i will need my trailer for them bother :)
will try to get back in later Time to go get daddy up.

susie
Gee april Not too far off . now

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

:-D)))

Susie, can we pick our first month to start swapping as May instead, if we need to ... or how does that work?

YES CAROL :
THIS IS OPEN AS TO WHEN YOU ALL FEEL AS YOU HAVE 5 OR MORE TO SHARE THEN YOU SIGN UP FOR THAT MONTH .

I Set 5 as a Minimum for it would cost the same for one plant to send.
so why not make it worth the postage .

just got back awhile ago had a couple errands to tend to pastor is in with daddy so i came out to play awhile :)
going to go plant a few seeds back later ya all take care now ya hear me :)))

just wanted to share Spring Hill 50% off sale Just ordered $100. for $ 50. SWEET .

http://springhillnursery.com/default.asp

What a great score, Susie. I don't recall ordering from them before. Have you?

My only Hellebore has been blooming for weeks, just the old fashioned kind with ivory blooms. Several more Daffs and Hyacinths are blooming, and the Tulips are looking promising. My Euphorbia tasmanian I ordered from Bluestone Perennials last year is still small but has a cluster of buds atop the variegated foliage. Daylilies are putting up foliage and the crazy White butterfly bush never died down.

I have way too much stuff up and turning green, hope Missouri weather stays nice, it is so early, and next week we are going to have 3 days in the 70's!

Hi all,, I just talked to Jim, Deejay9/ Susie's, brother and he let me know that she is in the hospital, she has possible pneumonia, and will also be having a stress test tomorrow. I am going to call him tomorrow night and he will let me know how she is doing then. If anyone has any questions you can d-mail me and I will ask him then.

Kris

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

Oh no!!!! I will be keeping her in my prayers.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Same here. Thanks for letting us know about this, Kris. :(...

Minne, I am interested in your BH and Joe Pye. I would be happy to pay for postage or trade.

Barbourville, KY(Zone 7a)

Oh my. I hope Susie is better soon. I wonder if she never really recovered from her bout with pneumonia a couple of months ago. Keep us updated,
Alana

Elfie, will you please update us in Susie's progress?

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

Sending susie good warm thoughts and thinking of spring!!!
Look whats popping up! This seems way too early. Supposed to be in the 50°-60° range this whole next week. Was 68° last wednesday!!!

I got a whole mix of bulbs from a woman who had had some health problems so had not been keeping her gardens in a while, and she was moving. So she let a bunch of us dig out all her plants. I have no idea what to expect to see but i love suprises!!!
And i love being pleasently surprised by early spring!

Thumbnail by OutlawHeart81 Thumbnail by OutlawHeart81 Thumbnail by OutlawHeart81 Thumbnail by OutlawHeart81 Thumbnail by OutlawHeart81

Outlaw I would live to know what you have popping up. Keep us posted.

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

Anita, I will put you down for JP & BH.

Nothing is popping yet...ground is still frozen. High 60s over the weekend. I put the Jane Magnolia out in the driveway these last two days and the bees are in heaven!! Between 'Jane' and the Rhodi's - they love me!

I trimmed back all the dead stalks of the Joe this weekend. Sedum is peeking and the lilac that budded a few weeks ago seems to have pulled through okay. The trees are popping something fierce.

** I think that I will now have to stop taking requests for bleeding heart until I know how much I will have. I have enough to cover all the requests thus far, I just dont know if I can do more at this point until they start coming up. I still have JoePye though.

This message was edited Mar 11, 2012 8:02 PM

Hey everyone,, Just talked to Susie's brother Jim and he says she is going to be ok, just a really nasty bug got her down also she will be having a stress test tomorrow then will be coming home. He says she will probably be back online in a couple of days. He also says he feels real good and the stint has really helped him!! Sounded very upbeat. Will be calling him tomorrow to check on her again...

Elfie

Tyler, TX(Zone 8b)

i would like to join in...probably can't play every month, but April sounds like a promising start for me.
thanks, Chell

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Great news! Thanks, Elfie. ♥

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

Thanks Elfie!

So glad to hear the good news on DeeJay I was really worried.

Our temps have been crazy, rain Sunday into today, then hitting the upper 70's and one day predicting 80! Now we are zone 5 and this is crazy, daffs will be open by tomorrow, daylilies up all over, wowzer, it is amazing. Roses putting out leaves..... mushrooms will be out if this keeps up....

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

Same here happ!!! In all my 30 years i have never seen a winter like this in the syracuse area. But i think people all over are saying the same thing!

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

Sayin it here! High 60's over the weekend - 56 today with rain off & on, then mid 70's the rest of the week!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.