Mid-South Gardners Member List II

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Welcome new folks and seasoned gardeners to the Mid-South Gardeners Member List! Please check in for a head count. :)

This is a continuation of the original sticky MID SOUTH GARDENERS MEMBER LIST started by Ret_Sgt_Yates on 6/11/2010 here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1106974/

When the original thread became hard to load I set up a new page BUT I MISLABLED IT "Mid south gardeners forum (page 2)"

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1189542/

where we have chatted and gotten to know each other . . ..

I was new myself, young and impetuous. Now I'm not so new, not so young, and perhaps less impetuous.

This current page is properly labeled MEMBER LIST II so I hope I can re-unite the mid south gardeners after leading you all astray. :D

The original thread now has 280 posts and 2,969 views and is increasingly difficult to load for those of us with slower connections.

Join us Mid South Gardeners here!

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq
Central, LA(Zone 8b)

I'm here!!! Now everyone else needs to chime in.

Are we planning on March 15 for the annual trip to Forrest Hill? I'm up to it. I have my MG card ready for our 20% discount.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Uh Oh, Jeri I have a feeling this trip is a little out of my way. :)

A.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Count me in

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

I need to check on Mary & Lisa and Emily then too.

Baton Rouge, LA

Hello To All !

It is a one day trip? Sounds like FUN! I might have to see what will be going on at work before I can know for sure....

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

I am in too. Looking forward to it.

Ripley, MS

I would love too, but no way this year, I am going to ask admin to unsticky that thread and let it roll on off and put a sticky on this one for us. I do believe the original poster Sarge no longer posts on Dave's Garden.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Sandra did you follow that guy Paul from Ala? I heard that he passed away.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Yes I understand that Sgt Yates is no longer a member of DG.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Wonderful Mary it has been so long since I have seen you and Lisa. Hope Emily can make it. Come to think of it I don't think I have seen Jeri since that last time I saw you. Can't wait.

Mary yes it is just a one day trip that we do together. It is about half way between me in the north part of the state and all of you in the southern part. I hope you can take off so I can get a chance to meet you.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

She will fit right in Cindy. Mary(my niece) & I had a nice lunch at her house and enjoyed visiting her garden awhile back.

I haven't talked to Emily since before Christmas I think.

Baton Rouge, LA

(HUGS) Love to Riverland and Jeri11 ! yes would love to join the group... just need to check on a few thing from work.....

Ripley, MS

Yes, I saw that post about Paul, so sad

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Lost you all! Wish I could make it to forest hill but don't think I can.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Well just think about it Charlotte maybe you could kill 2 birds with one stone. Just saying!!! LOL!!! Visit your DG family and shop, shop, shop and visit your other family too. Then get home in time to work for the next few months!!!!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Like I told Cindy I really do need to come down that way. Just have to see. It's really brothering me that haven't been down to the family cementary in a long time. I own some land down there that I would also like to go look out.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Ok I know I posted it somewhere but can't find it. Charlotte my house is open if you and Marilyn would like to come down. You could even stay a few days to see about your land and the cemetery.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Thanks Cindy! I don't know if it will be March but I do plan to get down some time by this summer. I know the cemetery is fine but just like to go visit every so often. I also have someone who looks after my land but also just like to actually look at it every now and then!! LOL I really miss my aunt who lived in Spearsville. I would go down and visit her and she would take me around to all the old places. She didn't think anything of just running down to Monroe for lunch!

Baton Rouge, LA

cperdue - you probably alreadyknow this but if you are checking on land you own...you can write the trip off on Income Taxes !

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the reminder Mary. I did know that.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Here is the catalog link to Doug Youngs if anyone is interested. LOL!!!

http://www.dougyoungnursery.com/2011wholpb.pdf

Baton Rouge, LA

WOW Jeri ! Great Prices! I am gonna have to figure out how to take a vacation day March 15th;.....

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

It would be worth it, I think. Besides all the fun we have.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Alas, alack:

too far for me to go, methinks. :/

A.

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

Libby signing in.

Pontotoc ,Mississippi which is in northeast Mississippi between Tupelo and Oxford.

I am actually in the "town" of Algoma, former" crosstie capital of the world". It is so tiny that we have one traffic light and it is just for looks ! After living in the Jackson MS area for 35 years it is hard to adjust to this country life.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Hi Libby!!! Boy it has been a long time!!! Hope everyone is doing good!

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Hey Libby glad y'all are still kicking. Been awhile since we have seen you. Did you get to transfer the daylilies that you wanted from the old place? Cindy

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

hello ! yes, I have been absent. Mostly too tired ( and too lazy) to get on at night. Not only are we STILL working on the house although we have been in it almost 4 yrs now but, of course, I have my mom to sort of "care for",too. I also joined the neighboring county's master gardening group and the local homemakers club (which is also part of the county extension office and requires you to keep track of volunteer hours).

My mom had been pretty independent when I came up here, but slowly I could tell her mind was getting worse. The "Big A", as we call it in our family, runs in the females and since Davids parents both had dementia, as well as my grandmother, I am well aware of the signs. Then, this past November, mama had a stroke. For 2 days she didn't open her eyes or respond to sound or pain. We even had the talk with the dr. about what her wishes were about DNR. Really scary. All of the sudden she woke up! She never had paralysis - just her mind got worse. She stayed 2 weeks in the hospital where she had therapy , then came home and had home health care for 1 and a half months. Most people would not even notice there is anything wrong with her. Just those of us that know her. The dr. is not letting her drive now, and I hope never will again. That ties me down of course. I am now a permanent driver . She did agree to wear a Life Alert necklace so she can call me if she needs me, but like the last time - she wasn't aware there was anything happening to her. My sister just happened to call her and mama answered the phone but couldn't form words. My sister called me. Otherwise it would have been several more hours before I would have found her and things might have been much worse.

Sorry, didn't mean to write a novel ! She is up and looking forward to daylily season. My neuropathy is much worse, as is my knee and back. Hmmm, getting old is the pits !!!!! I am at least going ! Slow but sure.

In Clinton I had over 1200 daylilies. Most of the ones I tried to bring with me ended up dying before I got them in the ground that first fall. I had to start buying again. I am up to close to 200. That is all the room I have. David says he refuses to make more beds cause I can't take care of them :)

Cindy, how are you doing????

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Libby I am doing good. I had back surgery this last year that helped a lot. How is your health? Glad to hear your mom is still alive. I didn't want to ask since it had been so long since we had seen you. Tell David I said hello. I was thinking of him yesterday when I moved one of those stakes y'all made. I love them.

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

My neuropathy is worse, but not to where I can't function. My knee is getting to where it is in constant pain,along with my lower back. Years ago I had both back and knee surgery. The back surgery was to cut a cyst off my lower spine. Although they said it was "successful" I have had back pain ever since. They said I had arthritis in my spine and degenerative discs.

For even longer I have struggled with my knee. I have what looks like half a golf ball on the side of the knee. The surgery did nothing to help.The pain is getting so bad now I am about to be forced to have something done. After the last surgery I had I almost stopped breathing and they had to call down the surgeon and anesthesiologist to work on me, so I am almost scared to have surgery again. Also, I don't know who would drive for my mother while I couldn't. Lots to think about ! Like her, I still get around and do what I can. It could always be worse !!!

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Libby, I also wanted to tell you that your daylilies have spread joy all over. I have shared them with many, many people. The most rewarding though is for the last couple years we have had a daylilies for postage for newbies to daylilies here on DG. The recipients are usually so thankful. Last year when I was going through physical therapy I shared your and my babies with the therapists there. They were so excited because they had no idea they came in so many colors and so beautiful.. We had a flood here in 2009 and my daylilies were under water for nearly six weeks. I lost about half of the 350 different varieties that I had but at least I know the ones that survived were very hardy. I have really enjoyed growing them from bought seed the last few years. It's a crapshoot what you are going to get and that is the only thrilling way to gamble for me. LOL I should have about 40 bloom this year that I have never had bloom yet. I didn't do any seed this year because I am moving my daylilies around and didn't want to fool with new babies. My daughter in law Rebecca has moved twice but she has transplanted all the plants you gave her each time. She and my son have a beautiful yard. Course it helps when you have 2 people working it. Mine is just me and I never seem to get around to finishing anything. I plan to move a few of the daylilies to the camp but I know I will have to deal with the deer. I have always been surprised that they don't eat them here at the house real bad.
I remember all the photos where they would eat yours clean to dirt level. Sorry to hear you are having more health problems.

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

Deer like it here, too, unfortunately ! They ate all the buds out of my camellias and knocked over a lawn chair David had stakes through to hold it down just to get to my daylilies. Nothing seems to stop them. I wanted to get a Great Pyrenees to keep them away but then I know some of them dig big holes in the yard, so I might be getting myself into trouble ! I do love big dogs, but mine is useless ! he barks at everything he hears or thinks he hears but doesn't seem to scare off the deer.

i do wish I had shared even more daylilies with all of you than I did. I was so stingy ! I left soooo many of my daylilies in Clinton because the person buying our place was to become the new director of the local nature center. I thought "what better person to entrust all my plants to if I HAVE to leave so many behind ! " Then David made several trips back to the area within the next year and said it looked like our yard had not been mowed since we left it, much less any gardening done. It made me sad to think that my plants were not being cared for. I spent 25 years gathering samples of plants for that yard ! Oh well.... life goes on.

Yes, those of us with a partner that helps us in the yard are so blessed !! My mom reminds me of that almost every day during pretty weather. I loan him out to her as much as possible but I need him here. He has helped her with some of her new daylily beds but swears he won't build me another one ! I think I have about 21 new daylilies ordered for this spring, so I don't know what I am going to do with them if he doesn't crank out the ole tiller :)

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Hello - just checking in - getting spring fever I guess - never had the winter chills really. Our high was 78 today. phew.

Have a good weekend.

A.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

We got a little cooler than that and was suppose to have rain but no rain. We stay in the high 60's until Tue and then warm back up.

Baton Rouge, LA

Jeri - get your crystal ball out and tell me if we're gonna have another freeze LOL... wouldn't the garden centers love you if you could do that? My yard thinks it is Spring....

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

yes, mine too ! I have trillium ,woodland fern,daylilies,coneflowers, Mexican Hat, autumn clematis !! and many others peeping up. I am afraid we will have a late winter and kill back everything !

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

My yard would love that too!!!! I went on the weather channel for Feb. & March and we're looking good. Easter isn't until April and we usually have one last freeze around then. The pecan trees haven't budded out so anything is possible.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Here is the link Mary.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/vacationplanner/monthly/70739?month=1

Baton Rouge, LA

Wow Thanks Jeri ! Very interesting ...so if we stay around averages we'll be fine... but we usually have a freeze before Easter....

If we make it to Easter and no Freeze then do you start planting then Jeri ? It will sure be hard to wait though....

Maybe I'll buy some of the cheaper plants and put out "just in case".... My swap plants are counting the days so they can go into the ground.... they are still scared I'm gonna kill them off before that happens. I've gotten where I don't even water or look at them until they start looking wilty... LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.