Slug resistant hostas - which ones have worked for you?

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

As a result of a discussion in the thread "Remember Me", I've started a new thread in which we can post pics and talk about those hostas which have survived the slugs well in our gardens.

I'll start with the one in question - 'Remember Me'. This was taken at the end of August last year in what was a BAD slug year. You'll see that 'Patriot' to the left and 'Invincible' to the right both have holes in the leaves. RM survived quite well.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Another which did well - 'Rainbow's End' taken August 27. Note the condition of the 3 hostas surrounding it.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

'Rainforest Sunrise' on August 9

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

'Restless Sea' August 27 had SOME damage, but not a lot.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

'Ripple Effect' - August 9 virtually no damage. Actually, pretty well all of the 'Halcyon-June' family survived well.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

'Rootin Tootin' on August 9. I pretty well stopped taking pictures this year after Aug. 9 with only a few exceptions.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

'Stained Glass' - Aug 9 - held up pretty well - note the plants around it.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
(Debra) Garland, TX

So go for the ones that start with "R"! :-) Thank you. I have Patriot, June, American Sweetheart, Blue Mouse Ears, and Mighty Mouse. Slugs like all, but are slowest to chomp down on the June.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

'Touch of Class' - Aug. 9 - no slug damage. But the plant was misshapen because I dropped a spade onto it in the spring.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

'Alligator Shoes' - Aug 9

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I'm back to the beginning of the alphabet now. Have my hosta pics in 4 alphabetic folders. Because I had recently posted 'Remember Me', it opened to the last one of the alphabet.

'Avalanche' did reasonably well.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

'Blue Ivory' Aug. 9 - just a baby, but once again in the 'June' family.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

'Christmas Pageant' - another young plant but it survived the slugs well.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

For a mini hosta, 'Country Mouse' did well. Again, Aug. 9. Actually, this is not part of the mouse ears family, but that whole family did well too.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

'Cutting Edge' on Aug. 9 showed almost no damage.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

'Emerald Ruff Cut' on Aug. 3 was also doing well.

More later. Have to eat dinner and get out to a handbell rehearsal.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

Ann, what's that hosta behind 'Cutting Edge' with the green center and wide chartreuse margins?

I wish I could contribute to this discussion, but [[knocks wood real hard]] I haven't had a slug problem here. I do find the occasional earwig, though. I have never had a Swiss-cheesed hosta. Hopefully, things will stay that way.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

You are very lucky KaylyRed, I also would like to know what is behind Cutting Edge and also the one beyond it with the beige and green, (only three leaves) and looks like it is reaching for the sky.

My Stained Glass did really well too, especially considering how thin the leaves are. I thought the slugs would have turned it into a salad bar.

My Rainforest Sunrise is just a slug, I mean plug, sorry, but when I see a big one I get excited. :)
I really like that Rainbow's End too.

My most slug resistant hosta is Loyalist, this hosta is tuff. Stayed beautiful and had good growth rate. Very happy with this one.

Thumbnail by virginiarose
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

The hostas behind 'Cutting Edge' are 'Gemini Moon' with the chartreuse edges and the one with three leaves is a dud of a 'Lakeside Cupcake'.

Back from bell practice.

More hostas. 'Fireworks' held up pretty well last year - this photo from Aug. 9

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

'First Frost' did pretty well. This is located in one of the most slug-filled parts of my garden. Aug. 9

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

'fortunei Aureomarginata' never gets bothered much by slugs. Aug. 9

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

'Full Moon' hiding under 'Regal Splendor' has thick leaves. Got a bit muddy because I never got new mulch in the garden last year. Also Aug. 9

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

'Great Expectations' had little or no slug damage. Aug. 9

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

'Halcyon' - Aug. 9

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

'High Society' - Aug. 27 - again - 'June' family

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

'Ice Age Trail' - Aug. 9 Thick leaves though it's not as streaky as is once was.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

'June' - Aug 9

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Another 'June', also Aug. 9 - gets less light here. Notice how much bluer it is.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

'Liberty' - Aug 9

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Love that 'Great Expectations', always a welcome sight. I have three of these 'Sea Thunder' and they did real good for a thin leaf.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

'Lonesome Dove' - Aug. 9

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

'Orange Marmalade' has held up quite well. Aug. 9

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

My 'Patriot' held up pretty well, but not as well as 'Remember Me' - Aug. 9

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

'Paul's Glory' - Aug. 9

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

'Peppermint Ice' was still looking good Aug. 9

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

'Praying Hands' held up well. Aug. 9

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

The last one I'll show you is 'Punky'. Also Aug. 9 and this one is also in one of the worst areas of my garden for slugs.

As I said at the start, 2011 was a bad year for slugs. I have many others that showed only a bit of damage and then I have those that were in tatters at the end of July.

Ann

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Love 'Peppermint Ice' got that one near the top of my wish list.

This one has good sun tolerance and laughs at slugs. :) 'Brother Stefan"

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Nice 'Sea Thunder' and your 'LK Cupcake' looks totally different from mine. As I said, I think I've got a dud.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

My 'Brother Stefan' did pretty well but showed SOME slug damage.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.