Burning Pickle Patio - Gathering to Chat #2

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Welcome to the Burning Pickle, have a seat and chat for a bit.
We came from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1229305/#new

Thumbnail by haighr
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

I just finished this little sunny sunflower to give as a door prize at the mid atlantic seed swap in February.
I had a double nose biopsy yesterday (not a big deal). Should have the results next week.
Working on a Circle of Angels doily and waiting for the rain to begin today.

Thumbnail by haighr
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

How talented you are - what a lovely sunflower.

Thinking about retiring in a couple of years and then I will be able to make a dent on all the craft-related stuff I have stashed away in storage.

Hope the results are good news.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Steve just made me a bit of a craft chest for some of the materials.
So what crafts have you been "putting off" for retirement?
Thanks for the compliments on the sunny, it was a quick project. I am working on 3 breast cancer doilies that I sold last week and hope to finish this weekend and also just finished one of the Circle of Angels for a DG member that must go in the mail today or Monday.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

The pink Susan Komen gerber daisy that Tasha got me last year is in pink bloom for Valentine's Day!

Thumbnail by haighr
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

I just finished this little angel trimmed in gold metallic holding a bouquet with a chair of pearl beads and bold breast cancer ribbon charm. I am not sure I really like the gold trim on this small one as she only stands 8" tall?

Thumbnail by haighr Thumbnail by haighr Thumbnail by haighr
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Goooood morning! Oh my Haighr those are beautiful! You are very talented. I never could master crocheting or stuff of that nature!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Thanks BB. I had a wonderful day yesterday. My neighbor and I spent a delightful afternoon at the Tranquila Tea House in Waynesboro. Being a tom boy growing up I never experienced a "real tea party". This was quite elegant and quite a treat.
Lyn had a gift card and was kind enough to treat us to the full sandwich platters, tea, scones and dessert.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Cool!

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

I love going out to tea. We do have one teahouse (not the Chinese dim sum tea places, but the High Tea kind) in Sacramento, and I like searching out ones to go to when I am out of town. They are a lot of fun, and I like the portions of the goodies that they serve - small enough to try a little bit of this and that.

Nice Angels too!

BB - how is your winter coming along? Hopefully it is not too harsh.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

I am looking forward to going again Dianne, it was very relaxing and I purchased 2 lovely tea sets for my granddaughters at a very reasonable price.
Rained all day yesterday so I worked on the Barbie gown. Today they are calling for more sunshine and the 50's again so will enjoy that.
I went to the Mid Atlantic seed swap the other weekend and Ric brought a lot of black pussy willow to share so I stuck some of that in the ground on Monday with fingers crossed . I killed the one established one that I had and then last year lost my 25 year old pink flowering almond bush so I put the willow where that bush had been, Hope it fills in.

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Over at Cubits, they have a seed swap at Ella's garden. This is the second year that i took part in their "piggy" seed swap. I got over 200 seeds - both flowers and vegetables. Now I just have to start planting and trying to get them seeds to turn into seedlings. I only planted about 25% of the seeds i got last year, and maybe only about 10 kinds of plants to actually flower. i am hoping to have a better record this year. The black pussy willow sounds like a neat plant. I have such a small yard that I don't have room for trees.

Did you get a lot of seeds at the seed swap?

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Yes! We meet at the Chef Lin buffet in Frederick. There were about 20 of us and had a great day of lunch, swapping seeds and door prizes.
I actually don't spend a lot of time at Cubits or ATP these days, just taking too much of my time trying to start up a new website. I worked really hard in the early days spending hours and hours here at DG when it was just beginning and I just don't know about spending so much time doing it again on another site. It was okay when I first started at cubits and ATP, but for all the work I have done on those sites I haven't really gotten much return so I returned here to DG for most of my plant needs.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Had a nice fire going on the patio last evening. Nobody stopped by to enjoy it? Has everyone gone on vacation?

Thumbnail by haighr
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Too hot here for a fire LoL. Serve up some ice cream and you bet I'll be there.

Hope your gardening is going well. I am still trying to keep the weeds under control

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Hot here in the day, but still cool at night. This is our evening shot a bit ago.
Finally got a cool Deere with a wagon so "weeds be gone"!

Thumbnail by haighr Thumbnail by haighr
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Still in the heat wave 10+ days of 99 or 100 degrees. Hoping for a break in the high 80s today!
Been making my arrangements and have put 6+ loaves of zucchini bread in the freezer.

Thumbnail by haighr Thumbnail by haighr Thumbnail by haighr Thumbnail by haighr
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Just made this for Breast Cancer Awareness month. I made the Survivor's Grow marker using polymer after my lesson from Ridesredmule! The flowers are all from my gardens end, dahlia, grasses and zinnia. What's everyone been up to?
I have a lot to clean up in the gardens and soon as the frost hits will be digging dahlia tubers. I already pulled up my banana and a few elephant ears and the bulbs are huge. Can't imagine what this big one is gonna be like to dig, wanna come over and help?

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Very nice Haighr! Wow, its been a while since I posted to Daves! Cannot beleive that Christmas is just around the corner!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Nice to see you BB, I don't get here much myself! Have a great holiday!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Christmas was great! Hope yours was good too!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

We were in the Panama Canal and it was a fabulous holiday. Just got back today and am exhausted, but glad to be home. I got a beautiful chandelier for the Burning Pickle, what do you think?

Thumbnail by haighr
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Been on a long holiday from here! Howdee! Merry Christmas everyone! Im leaving again though so if I dont get back its because I have left and am not able to chat for a while.. I am soooo very busy! In which case, I will chat back when I can! Have a blessed Christmas and the most happiest of new years!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

So great to hear from you and Merry Christmas to you as well. Where are you going? What are you so busy with? Keep in touch my friend!

Christchurch, New Zealand

nice to see familiar folks still posting here :)

I spend most of my time in the Australian & New Zealand forum...

but hubby & I were at the Ellerslie Garden show today & I thought the photos might be of interest.

http://s75.photobucket.com/user/dalfyre/library/Garden/Ellerslie%20Garden%20Show%202014?sort=9&page=1

cheers - Teresa

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Hi Teresa,

Lucky you goi g to a flower show. Hunkering down here for another big snowstorm.

it bucketed down with rain the afternoon before we went so the ground was very muddy.
Got to 17C & it was nice in the sunshine, when the clouds covered the sun we were glad to be wearing a couple of layers of merino.
Good thing I work in a shop selling merino clothing :)

Today is just gorgeous weather, sun shining, birds singing...
hoping we have a mild autumn as our summer was not the greatest.

As it gets colder here things should be warming up for you :)

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

I hope you are right my friend. We got more snow last night and spring is just a few weeks away! I am ready to do some outside gardening. I made this little orb today for my daughter who is getting a Bernese Mt. dog puppy tomorrow. She lives on the eastern shore hence the beachyness! Least made me feel warm and sunny making it!

Thumbnail by haighr Thumbnail by haighr

that orb is lovely :)

Bernese Mtn dogs are gorgeous, a little bit big for me, I like my mid sized spotty weasel.
Also known as Sugar the liver spotted Dalmatian.
Sugar when she is good - like now curled up peacefully snoozing on the couch with me - and Weasel when she is being bad - like stealing my cushion & running around the room with it.

we have gale force winds & heavy rain, a high of 12C...
brrr - autumn is here already.

I work in a shop that sells merino clothing, I am one of our best customers.

We just got new stock in of possum/merino gloves, hats & beanies.
I bought a pair of gloves & a beanie to wear home tonight.
They are so soft & warm - just love them.

http://www.mohair.co.nz/fibre-information/Possum+Merino.html

Thumbnail by dalfyre
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

LOL, I would buy out the store with those glove and hats!

What a cute picture and beautiful dalmation. Tasha finally got the puppy and they are having a ball. He is a big ball of fur right now. I kid her about how he will look when he weighs a 100+ lbs. and jumps in their swimming pool!!!

Warmer here today 40's and snow is finally melting. Hope that was the last storm, my house is overrun with plants and succulents and I want to get them out of here!

some drama here, the gale force winds & rain turned to some serious flooding...

I managed to make it to work but the bus had to detour around streets blocked with flood water.
At one stage the water was coming into the bus & the driver had to reverse back to higher ground.

Once at work it was decided I should get home again just in case it got worse & I ended up stranded.

Getting home was a mission, had to find a bus stop that wasn't under water & then took a bus away from the city until it met up with the route of a bus heading back the way I needed to go.

I decided not to risk having to wait for a third bus - traffic was so bad I might have been stuck for an hour to get the bus that stops in my street.
The one I was on stops on the main road 10 minutes walk from my street...
well normally 10 minutes but I was so busy gripping my umbrella for grim death against the wind &
picking my way through puddles that I didn't notice the footpath was getting narrower.
When I realised I couldn't walk any further as there was a puddle in front of me I looked to the side & there was water all around.
I had managed to walk my way into a lake of flood water & had to back track half way up the road to get to a narrow enough part that I could cross to the higher side to get back on track for home.

Since the earthquakes things have changed, areas have dropped & now we get flooding when before it was all fine.
Not to mention that 3 years on they still haven't cleared or replaced the storm water drains that filled up with silt or broke during the quakes.

They are saying this was a once in a 100 years storm.
Hope I don't see another one like it!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

OMG, you poor thing, what an ordeal. You are lucky you didn't get swept away, you really have to be careful in those flooded areas as you well know.
How is it today, has the water receded? I can't believe they havent cleared the storm drains, that is criminal.
Stay safe my friend!

it was astonishing how fast much of the flood water drained the following day.
The street where the bus had to detour was fine, the park adjacent was a bit soggy.
Driving around yesterday hubby & I noticed some low lying areas still have ponding but now it is clean up time for those affected.

We spent most of the day cleaning out our guttering & cutting back over hanging trees to try & keep the gutters clear for the rest of winter.

The water was overflowing the gutters by the back door & Sugar refused to go out.
Poor baby & had to give her a shove to get her past the torrent & then went out with her so she could relieve her self.
If I didn't go out she would just scoot back to the porch & huddle against the door.

Our local dog park was closed - a river runs through it so I am guessing that there was a lot of flooding & probably damage to fencing & even trees down again.
We have been hit by some fierce winds in the last few months & that has taken out a lot of trees & weakened others.
With the excessive rain & high wind it was inevitable that even more trees would come down.

Sugar is going to love today - we go to dog training & she will finally get a good run with her doggy friends.

When we look at the flooding in the UK, the ice storms in the US ours is just a miniature disaster (as KT Tunstalll would sing)

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Sounds like a real mess. Bet your Sugar had a great time getting out to run!

Speaking of ice, we spent the day cutting up our lovely 35' leland cyprus that toppled over during the ice storm. It has been laying in the back yard for weeks as there has been too much snow to even get to it. What a monstrous job and I really hated to see her go she provided such great privacy.
Guess we shall have to plant another and pray she grows rapidly!

I hate those fierce winds, they do a lot of damage here too. I hope you don't have many trees down in your area.

What a shame to lose an established tree.
leland Cyprus is a popular tree in Canterbury for shelter belts.
Macrocarpa is the other one we see a lot of on the plains.
The Norwest wind is so fierce that without shelter belts the paddocks would blow away... not to mention the poor stock out there.

Sadly with the boom in dairying many of the traditional crop/sheep/beef farms have been converted by ripping out the shelter belts to accommodate the huge mechanical irrigators needed to keep the grass lush & green for milk production.

We have the most amazing pure fresh water on tap here - the aquifers under the Canterbury plains are among the best in the world. And they spray it all day in the heat & wind to keep the grass green & who cares about what happens when the wells run dry.

I get quite riled when I see water being wasted & normally put my garden on water rations long before the city council thinks to step in with restrictions.

We are unusual in Christchurch as there aren't any water meters for individual houses. Water is free - although I am sure it is factored into the rates bill somehow.
Frankly I would be happy to see it metered so that wasters had to pay, then maybe they would value it more.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

How fortunate for you to be assured that your water is pure, wish I could even consider that! We pay for water and it isn't cheap here and no matter how careful we are about usage, the cost continues to rise like everything else.
I also think that like many other counties near us we will soon be paying a "rain tax" more gov't. BS to "protect the bay" which is just their way of "draining us dry"!

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Hi, everyone! I have a question that I figured I could get a good answer for here.
What is the best kind of pruners for trimming the bottom of cut flower stems? I keep a vase of flowers at home and at work, and at home I use a razor blade on a cutting board, but that's not practical at work.
Thanks!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

I us a sharp knife, perhaps you could use a little pocket knife? Or sharp manicure scissors?

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks, that would work.

banglore, India

Cut Flowers design inside a fish pot
http://bangaloreflorist.co.in

Thumbnail by atul123

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.