Genus and family checklist additions - requests here

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

As many of you know, PlantFiles uses a checklist for all new entries to check for genus and family names that have been reviewed and validated. This has helped us cut down on duplicates and errors.

This new thread (continued from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/808785/ ) is for any PlantFiles user to request an additional genus or family name not already on our checklist.

If you include a family name, please note whether it needs to be added to the checklist, or if you're simply including it for reference.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Please add the genus Hemizygia which is from the family: Lamiaceae whichis already listed. Thanks

https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=Hemizygia+Candy+Kisses

This message was edited Apr 4, 2012 2:40 AM

Quote from Kell :
Please add the genus Hemizygia which is from the family: Lamiaceae whichis already listed. Thanks

https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=Hemizygia+Candy+Kisses

This message was edited Apr 4, 2012 2:40 AM

Thanks for your patience - it's been added to the checklist!

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Are we no longer able to add new species to the PlantFiles? I searched for Eriodictylon parryi, (aka Turricula parryi) and found no results for either name and no option to add it to the database.

Rancho Santa Rita, TX(Zone 8a)

pls add

Family: Hypnaceae (already present)
Genus: Hypnum

tks BB

Churchill, Victoria, Australia(Zone 10a)

Hypnum is already in plantfiles: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/190756/

Quote from Kelli :
Are we no longer able to add new species to the PlantFiles? I searched for Eriodictylon parryi, (aka Turricula parryi) and found no results for either name and no option to add it to the database.

Kell, we've had an edit in place that compares the family and genus fields of new submissions against what is already in PlantFiles; a de facto "checklist" of confirmed names (they may fall in and out of favor with botanists but we've at least confirmed the spelling of them.)

Did you mean Eriodictyon (no "L")? if so, it is in the checklist already.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Yes, eriodictyon. The genus is there but I would like to add pictures of the species Eriodictyon parryi. The species is not in the database.

You can add a new entry for any valid plant not yet in PF; here's the link: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/add.php

San Tan Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

could you please add the genus Brassiophoenix to Plantfiles? Thanks

Brassiophoenix has been added to the checklist :-)

San Tan Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Could you please add the genus Clinosperma to the plantfiles.

Clinosperma has been added - sorry for the delay (I was laptop-less for a week :-)

Could you please add the Genus Carpha in the Cyperaceae. I am trying to add Carpha nivicola to PlantFiles,

Ken

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

I am totally stymied when attempting to list some orchid plants. I need someone to tell me exactly how to list them. Here are two examples of properly labeled orchids that I don't have a clue how to list on Plant Files:

1. Bc. Mount Hood 'Orchidglade' x Lc. Maui Treasure 'Lavender Sunset' AM/AOS
2. Pot. Exotic Dream 'Orange Passion' x Pot. (Waianae Legacy x Waianae Majestic)

These two are simply examples of many, many other orchid plants that defy listing. I need help so that I can list my orchid plants on "Plant Scout". Ken

Quote from kennedyh :
Could you please add the Genus Carpha in the Cyperaceae. I am trying to add Carpha nivicola to PlantFiles,

Ken

Ken, I've added Carpha to the list. Sorry I didn't see it before now.

Quote from klrkkr :
I am totally stymied when attempting to list some orchid plants. I need someone to tell me exactly how to list them. Here are two examples of properly labeled orchids that I don't have a clue how to list on Plant Files:

1. Bc. Mount Hood 'Orchidglade' x Lc. Maui Treasure 'Lavender Sunset' AM/AOS
2. Pot. Exotic Dream 'Orange Passion' x Pot. (Waianae Legacy x Waianae Majestic)

These two are simply examples of many, many other orchid plants that defy listing. I need help so that I can list my orchid plants on "Plant Scout". Ken

ken, there are some orchid experts who can help you (I am keenly familiar with the structure of PlantFiles, but I confess the nomenclature of orchids stymies me)

However, this particular thread is for requesting new family or genus names to our checklist. Would you mind starting a new thread in this forum, and I'll tug on a few sleeves to see if I can get you some assistance?

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

Will do, Terry. Thanks. Ken

You're very welcome - also, I sent you an email with some assistance for getting your orchids uploaded.

Could you please add the genus Sclerostegia to the approved list. It was in the Chenopodiaceae, but is probably now in the Amaranthaceae. The plant I want to add is Sclerostegia arbuscula.

Ken

Quote from kennedyh :
Could you please add the genus Sclerostegia to the approved list. It was in the Chenopodiaceae, but is probably now in the Amaranthaceae. The plant I want to add is Sclerostegia arbuscula.

Ken

Hi Ken, I added Sclerostegia this morning. Thanks!

Terry, I am sorry but when I went to add the plant, I looked it up first and found that the genus name was chamged in 2007. It is now known as Tecticornia arbuscula. Could you please therefore add the genus Tecticornia in the Amaranthaceae to the checklist. When I add the plant, I will also add the other name Sclerostegia arbuscula as a synonym,

Ken

I saw that but thought it was a synonym. I've added Tecticornia to the checklist.

thanks Terry, I have now added Tecticornia arbuscula to PlantFiles: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/205879/

Ken

Thank you, Ken! Great to "see" you around again!

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Would you add Metalasia genus for Metalasia muricata, family Asteraceae. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metalasia_muricata
Thanks

Quote from Kell :
Would you add Metalasia genus for Metalasia muricata, family Asteraceae. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metalasia_muricata
Thanks

Metalasia has been added to the checklist - thanks for continuing to "grow" PlantFiles, kell!

Could you please add the genus Blennospora in the Asteraceae to the accepted list. I have a picture of Blennospora drummondii to add to plant files,

Ken

Ken, I added Blennospora to the checklist. Thanks!

Terry, could you please add the grass (Poaceae) genera Walwhalleya and Homopholis to the check list.
I am wanting to add the Rigid Panic - Walwhalleya proluta to PlantFiles and also to add to it, its earlier synonym Homopholis proluta

Ken

Both have been added - thanks, Ken!

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6b)

Could please add the moss genus Fontinalis of family Fontinalaceae? I sent a "contact us" request, before I find out, that there is a thread for this.

Klaus89, it looks like it was added already, and you've created an entry. Thanks for helping PlantFiles grow!

Terry, I have recently photographed Pterostylis striata. When checking PlantFiles, I find that Pterostylis striata is among the synonyms for Pterostylis alata.
The current situation is that Pterostylis alata is now considered endenic to Tasmania, and the mainland plants previously called P. alata are now renamed as P. striata.
It is impossible to add Pterostlis striata as a new species, while the name is stored as a synonym of P. alata.
Could you please erase that synonym, so that P. striata can be added as an additional species,
Ken

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Please add genus Empodium for Empodium namaquensis.
http://pacificbulbsociety.org/pbswiki/index.php/Empodium
Thanks

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Gee I had totally forgotten I had asked you to do this Terry in August. Just saw my name as the one that last posted. Do not worry about it, Terry. At this late date I can't remember what I even did with the picture of it now. Oh well............................

Okay, I've added Empodium to the checklist and removed Pterostylis striata as a synonym to P. alata (but the preferred method for handling specific issues with an existing entry is to use the Report an Error link in the left-hand side of the screen when you're viewing the entry in question.

Sorry for the oversight - somehow I didn't see this flag as having any new activity until I was going through some old help desk notes and saw a nudge from kennedyh :-)

Terry, on my recent visit to Tasmania I had the chance to photograph a very special plant, the Fairy Lantern, Thismia rodwayi. Wijkipedia has it in the family Burmanniaceae, but some sources now place it in the Thismiaceae.

Could you please add the Genus Thismia and if necessary the family Thismiaceae to the approved list and indicate which family I should attach it to?

Ken

Thumbnail by kennedyh

Terry, I found another interesting plant in Tasmania. It took me a long time to identify it as it was in fruit, not flower, but I finally tracked it down to the Delicate Laurel (Tetracarpaea tasmannica). This is a Tasmanian endemic that has caused problems in its associations. It has variously been placed in the Cunoniaceae, Grossulariaceae, Escalloniaceae, and the Saxifragaceae, but I believe it is now given a family of its own, the Tetracarpaeaceae.

Could you therefore please add Tetracarpaea to the approved genus list, and Tetracarpaeaceae to the approved family list/

Ken

Thumbnail by kennedyh

Ken, I'm so sorry - I didn't see these until I referred someone to this thread today. The two genera and families you asked for in November have been added. Thanks for your patience (and don't hesitate to nudge me in the virtual ribs the next time I don't respond promptly :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images