root damage

Moorestown, NJ(Zone 6b)

I cut a superficial root of a fully grown Atlantic ceder by mistake. The root was probably slightly below 1 in. in diameter. How significant is this for the tree?

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Shouldn't be too serious. But try not to cut any more!

Resin

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

You should provide a bit more information, such as:

**Show the site/conditions that the Thuja occidentalis is growing in.
**Describe the overall health of this plant.

An approximately 1" diameter root is pretty significant for a conifer, especially in an urban situation. That said, if the plant has had full exploitation of rooting zone and is in fine health otherwise, it may be able to overcome this truncation of its below ground vascular system.

Obviously, all the roots that extended beyond the point that you cut the main one are lost in value to the plant. It is by this percentage that the plant has lost moisture and nutrient uptake ability.

Your plant isn't likely in any tremendous danger, but it deserves TLC in the coming year, especially during stressful weather periods.

Moorestown, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thank you. It is a nice specimen, but possibly already doomed by English ivy. Less than a year ago the tree was completely strangled by this invasive climber. We got rid of all the ivy, and was hoping that that would help the tree bounce back. This was a set back related to yard work. We shall see...

Getting rid of the ivy was likely the better impact than any lessening of the roots.

It would be interesting to have you post before/after images, and then future images of progression. Create a case history, of sorts.

Moorestown, NJ(Zone 6b)

Yes, I should've taken pics before taking the ivy down. It was quite a feat. Up to this date I'm still uprooting bulbous roots of the infamous English ivy from the ground around the tree trunk.

Make sure you have some grandchildren, so that they can help you finish up THAT task...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.