Jan De Graaff

Bellingham, WA

Years ago I read an article writen by Jan De Graaff telling how he started with a few Lilies he tucked into the corners of his garden. He said he ended up with 75 acres of Lilies. I guess he like Lilies.

I have two questions about this. 1. Were the propagation methods back then the same as the modern used today? 2. How many bulbs would 75 acres preduce?

It's a slow day.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Groannnn I'll say its slow,today too.
I dont have nearly that large an area.Mine is maybe accumulated 3,000.sq.ft. Rough guess for lilies for me is 400 and they arent crammed in.

Bellingham, WA

Thank you for the reply.

I thought more would remember who Jan De Graaff was and what he did for lily culture. They wouldn't have a yard full of wonderful lilies now. Before him lilies were a rich man's toy.

I like your posts, you're very good.

John

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

John - I found this article on famous lily hybridizers and Jan de Graaf's story is there:
http://ssls.tussana.com/Personalities.html

To answer your initial question...an acre is 43,560 sq. ft. x 75 acres = 3,267,000 square feet. Assuming one lily per square foot he'd have had 3,267,000 lilies not allowing for paths. I won't venture a guess at how many lilies, using scales and seeds, that could produce.

Both back when de Graaf was growing and hybridizing the seeds and scales would have been used for propagation just as they do now.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

WOW Pirl. Amazing

Unimaginable deadheading, right Jo Ann?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Hope the red beetle doesnt take up residence there.

Bellingham, WA

Thank you pirl for the tip on that web site. It's a good one. Many good stories there. My favorite kind.

John

You're welcome, John. I really enjoy reading the life stories of those who pioneered with any plant.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.