Giveaways

Alum Bridge, WV

Dave's people have been very good to me - offering trades, offering advice and other help.

Recently there was a request for seeds of Sinningia pusilla and I responded to that request with an offer of seeds at no cost to the person making the request. No answer. Was my offer too good to be true or was I in some way going to take advantage of that person? Was I going to insist that they name their first child after me?

More recently there was a request for information on self-watering pots for AVs. I responded to that request with an offer of six of those pots AT NO COST. Again, I had no desire for their first born....

I'm an old guy who has been growing Gessies for the last 35 or 40 years along with other plants that interest me. I had a greenhouse in my backyard for many years but I had to close it because of expense. I am not a collector so I have surplus plants and equipment, Am I to die with the most stuff and be declared a winner?I would like to help others, especially beginners, to enjoy the plant world as much as I have. I really don't need postage or reimbursement for my surplus. Why can't it be a simple act of kindness? (This is not an offer but a question.)

Columbus, OH

I don't have a good answer, other than...in the words of Jim Morrison, people are strange. Don't let them hurt your feelings, your generosity and good intentions stand on their own.

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Oh, no Vadis!! Please don't feel that way. I don't think anyone on here meant to hurt your feelings and we all appreciate you trying to share. I honestly did not see the offer on the pots and I would love to take you up on it if it is still available. I have some Sinn. pusilla seeds down but I am always looking for things to grow that I don't have.

Again, please don't be offended by this as I am sure no one is trying to ignore your generous offers. Sometimes things do get overlooked...wish I had seen the post about the pots!! If you have other supplies or even seeds/plants, please d-mail me.

Thanks,

Connie

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Did someone say seeds?!? Something that can actually be mailed during this horrid time of year called "winter"?

I'm not looking for any seeds in particular, but do you happen to have any episcia seeds? I don't care about any particular variety, but I've grown other gessies from seeds, and thought episcia would be something to try . . .

Please let me know!

Oh, and I agree with Jim . . . people are strange . . .

Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

Sometimes I'm puzzled too but try to find a reason. Well, things happen in our lives, and not always the best ones, I know it too well. A stress, emergency, health issues.... maybe I'm too naive? but I do believe in kindness and people like you prove that's true. Please don't take it personally, things do happen.....

Alum Bridge, WV

I do appreciate the concern you all have shown. My offers were in response to posted questions. I'm not so much interested in giving away as I am in meeting stated needs. I thought these people needed help - I was wrong. Thank you all for your responses; pehaps things are better than I supposed.

Montgomery, AL

I missed seeing the post for free pots and I've got S. pusilla or I would have taken advantage!
Jamie

(tish) near Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I just wonder if they never check their posts again.

Andalusia, AL(Zone 8b)

I look forward to your seed giveaways ^_^

Wish you would show us pictures of your plants.Have you been practicing Vadis?

Jan

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

vadis, I'm sorry I didn't see your post. I'm always looking for pots, especially the bulb type pans for trailers. I tried sinningia pussilla seeds but it's been 3 weeks and they still haven't germinated. do you know how long it takes for them to germinate?
I got seeds from you before and I was thrilled. Thanks.

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

This is the first time Ive ever visited this forum but it's nice to know there are still sweet generous people in the world. I knew there were. Now I know there are some in West Virginny. I have a rule for myself. I do good because that's who I AM, not necessarily what happens after I do good. Lots of times people do good and are never appreciated for it. I say, "Do good anyway". It's a legitimate expression of who you are. It needs no other justification. As one poster above said, "Your act stands on its own."

Alum Bridge, WV

Thanks, steadycam3, whoever you are.....

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm an "old girl" in Texas who has kept a few AV's since I was in my 30's. I went a little crazy at first but finally learned my limit of how much I could reasonably care for. I still root new ones of mine and give to people occasionally but most of my effort now is outdoors. My last 8 years before retirement were in an apt away from my home so now that I can garden outdoors, Im taking full advantage of it. I love retirement because it gives me more time to grow things, my all time favorite thing to do. I am never happier than I am sowing seeds, rooting cuttings, planning landscaping, trying to convert myspace into the most beautiful natural world I can manage, given this is Texas!

Montgomery, AL

Join our Round Robin steadycam3. You can try something new and contribute some of your favorites to others. It's lots of fun.
Jamie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.