L. speciosum rubrum suggest

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

1. I have Lily speciosum rubrum. I have moved it once, and I think I need to move it again. It gets very tall--5 feet, but it will not stand up right. It goes up about three feet and then arches over. It sprawls over the area it is growing in reaching towards the grassy lawn. This lily is in bright shade with about one hour of sun up against the north side of the house. The information in the catalogs shows sun to part shade. I am considering putting this lily in full sun. I don't have much "part shade". It is mostly either "sun" or "shade". I do have a berm that has roses in it in full sun. I was wondering if it would stand up right in that area? It would get "some" shade from the roses that get 5 to 6 feet tall over the summer.

2. What companion plants do you plant with this lily?

I feel like I sort of have this big sprawling monster of a plant that doesn't stay upright.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

See Plant Files on the lily and be sure to read the post by Baa - cool and light shade.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/51507/

I have the plant on order so I'm curious as to what others report about the aspect of sun or shade.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Sounds like it needs more sun, and anything right up against any structure (house or fence) is going to lean. Try the east side of your house or out in the garden where it might get some shade in the hottest part of the day. It doesn't have to be real close, just where the shade from a tree falls. Hope that helps.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the help. Pirl: what companions are you planting with this pretty lily?

It will go in the rose garden with baby's breath and clematises in the same color family.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Sounds pretty. I am assuming your roses must be in part shade.

Not really but it would get some protection from the large andromeda. If it doesn't work out I'll move the lily.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.