New USDA Plant Hardiness zone map

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

The new map came out yesterday. It has me as z8a, which is correct for Wilmington, but not on the island where I live. It is a small microclimate here, so I'm not surprised. At least it's more correct than the z7 it showed us to be before!
http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/
Barb

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

The map shows my area as 8b and Charleston as 9a. They just don't take all the microclimates into consideration I guess.

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

I know, and how dare they not. Mine is the most important one!

This is the interactive version of the map. You can put your zip code in and it will bring up your area and you will see a few different colored spots here an there that are supposed top indicate microclimates. Didn't do anything for my area though.

http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/InteractiveMap.aspx?utm_source=streamsend&utm_medium=email&utm_content=15514827&utm_campaign=Plant%20Delights%20Nursery%20January%2027%2C%202012%20E-Newsletter

Tony Avant has an article about the map in general - I think this dates to 2007.

http://www.plantdelights.com/Plant-Hardiness-and-Hardiness-Maps/products/525/?utm_source=streamsend&utm_medium=email&utm_content=15514827&utm_campaign=Plant%20Delights%20Nursery%20January%2027%2C%202012%20E-Newsletter

This message was edited Jan 27, 2012 9:02 PM

This message was edited Jan 27, 2012 9:03 PM

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

I read Tony's recent article. Thanks for the link to the 2007 one. It goes into details I hadn't thought of.
Barb

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

My zone hasn't changed either - but I've always considered the hardiness maps a suggestion.

I wrote to PDN asking about how the USDA determines zones and this is the answer I received.

"Tony said that they USDA is supposed to keep track of all areas where the residents view the new map as inaccurate, and to ask you to please email the USDA. The USDA data is limited by the amount of weather stations, then algorithms were written to interpolate the data between stations.

I hope this helps!"

Makes sense, there are fewer weather stations out here along the coast that there are in the more populated areas like Charleston.

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

We are a small area and haven't had a station. Good to know they want input on non-covered locations.
Thanks!
Barb

Johns Island, SC

Did anyone here get the notice that Tony's wife lost her fight with cancer recently? Really sad news...Typically, not shared. But if you know Tony, then you know.

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

I did hear. PDN is on Facebook and Tony posted it there. It sounds like she was a remarkable woman.
Barb

It was so sad. The last time I saw Tony, in June at his propagation class, he was unusually cautious when someone asked how Michelle was doing. I knew then that things were not going well. I suspect he has done his grieving over the past 4 years. His staff are like family and are very supportive.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.