Does anyone grow Ida Mae Norris or Memorial to Steve

Edwardsville, IL(Zone 6a)

Does anyone grow Norris daylilies? I'd appreciate feedback on the above or any others you grow, esp. on rebloom or instant bloom. I'm zone 6. I am amazed at his listing of 50 to 70 blooms on Memorial to Steve. I've never see that large a figure used on any daylily before. Thoughts?
thanks,
Judy

Maple Heights, OH

Judy, I have seen MEMORIAL TO STEVE in Richard Norris's garden and it is as advertised, IDA MAE NORRIS was also very nice. Every one of Richards plants that I have purchased have done well. He is real picky about the plant beneath the flower.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Genesta, though not as pretty as MTS (which is also on my wish list) is a reported bud builder with up to 120, yes, that's not a typo, 120 blooms. I got a single fan this past summer so I am going to give it at least a year to get going. It is a VL dormant that's listed at 60 buds on Tinkers. Got this info on Genesta from Mike Hubens website on his listings of bud builders. Mike

thanks, Mike. I really enjoyed that article. His description of a bud builder was very clear and made sense to me. Oh, don't we all want to extend our bloom! Where did you get your Genesta?

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

The only one that I have is Ashwood Rings of Saturn. This was taken on 6-11-11

Thumbnail by DitchLily206

Oooooh, very pretty.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Judy I got my Genesta from Aladin a.k.a. Jay Downs in Wisconsin on the LA in a collection. I should have bidded on his later listing of more fans on Genesta. Mike

Maple Heights, OH

GENESTA is a diploid, I counted 85 bud scars on a scape this fall. The branching is not very good. It does not set pods, but the pollen works well.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks for that info Lotsalilys.

Saint Peters, MO(Zone 5b)

I have grown Memorial to Steve for several years. The first year the scape blasted, but the last two seasons have provided a lot of flowers. I don't think I've ever set a pod on it. I think it needs to be established.

Thumbnail by baritonality
Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

I have been wanting MEMORIAL TO STEVE since I saw it a couple of years ago. Waiting for the price to drop. In the mean time, he has some older intros that I might just get.

Karen

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Judy MTS is on the LA. Mike

Thanks, Mike!!!

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh, how much? I gotta look!

Karen

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Mike, just wanted to mention that I won that MEMORIAL TO STEVE on the LA! I got if for $72. I'm absolutely tickled to death!

Karen

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Karen I saw a lot of bidders on all of the MTS that the same seller listed. Happy that you got one of them. Mike

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Mike.

Karen

Baltimore, OH(Zone 6a)

I have Memorial To Steve and IDN. Both were planted last year so we shall see this year what they do.

Look forward to hearing how they do. You are in my zone. How large are your daylilies? Mine seem to grow 3 " a day. They look like it is June.

I won some plants on LA and usually they would be shipped in late April or May. I'm wondering if they are growing as fast in your area, if I will see any bloom from these new ones this season after I plant them.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

My daylilies are growing like gangbusters lately. It's great to have such a jump start on the season. I even dug up two orders for shipping today. Yes, last night was cold, and tonight will be, too, but warm weather is right on the horizon again, and tomorrow will be back up in the 50's, and by next week will be back up to 70 again.

Karen

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I've already sent one order out too. Supposed to warm up here again so may be digging more.

Baltimore, OH(Zone 6a)

IMN and Memorial To Steve are up and growing well. MTS bloomed nicely last year. Looking forward to seeing them both this summer. I am in zone 6a about 50 miles northwest of Richard Norris so we are probably in the same climate zone.

This message was edited Mar 30, 2012 12:51 AM

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

I'm in the same zone as you, poplarcreek.

I look forward to seeing my MTS bloom. Hopefully it will do so its first year.

Not going to get up to 70 this coming week as originally predicted, but will be in the 50's, so not too bad. Tomorrow will be cold here, about 40-45. Might be a dusting of snow on the ground in the morning. We'll see. I have people coming to dig plants that I'm giving away, so we'll see if they show up with the cold weather. They may want to come on Sunday instead.

Karen

Baltimore, OH(Zone 6a)

MTS bloomed last year on a small single-fan plant. IMN looks very healthy, a big plant which I am sure will bloom this year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.