Cornus 'Venus' Experience

Stanwood, WA

Anybody growing Cornus 'Venus' aka 'KN30-8' from the Rutgers breeding program? I have been growing two since 2007 ( I planted 1 in 2006 and 1 in 2007). Both tree's grew vigorously at first. However, two years ago one started to color very early and drop most of it's leaves. I thought maybe it wasn't getting enough water so last year I made sure it was soaker watered on a weekly basis. It continued it's decline and this winter I see no bloom buds and considerable dead wood. Even worse the 2006 planting, which is in another part of the garden, in a very prominent spot, is showing sign's of the same condition. Unfortunately I didn't take any pix but I can say there was little or no spotting. What are other members experience with 'Venus"?

Thanks
Mike

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Maybe you have a graft problem, or some insect like a borer has attacked your plant(s).

Images would help. You can post one at a time, each time you reply to your post here.

I have one 'Venus' at the Valley, along with one 'Starlight'. They are both growing fine, though I don't think that they had the best start from grafts compared to other grafted plants I've grown.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Hey, VV. Long time.
Do you have pics of your dogwoods or more info about them from your point of view? I've been interested in them for a long time.

Here's a 2009 (second year in the ground) image of Starlight™ at the Valley.

This was a 5G plant about 5' tall, with two stems at about 3 feet. The graft looked pretty poor, and it was planted too deep in the soil mass. I'm expecting it to take several years to establish properly, but I'm happy with its performance so far given the lousy start in life.

It was a gift from my mom, so save the crits.

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley

Here is a same day (May 2009, just planted) image of Venus™ at the Valley.

Pretty much the same story with this plant - all the improper structure/conditions, plus fresh cicada damage from 2008 - but it has the advantage of being in a partner planting with many viburnums and winterberries. Kind of like a trauma patient in a ward full of attractive attentive nurses.

It had a prolific bud set when I got it, and has been a bit more shy to bloom since as it has settled into its new home. It had an awful graft condition - it looked exactly like weedeater damage - so I expect a couple more years of healthy growth to close that wound will be necessary before it hits full stride.

So, while this information is solely about Starlight™ and Venus™ dogwood performance here at the Valley - let not your heart be troubled.

I believe these to be exceptional plants for home landscapes anywhere that Cornus florida and Cornus kousa can be grown well, with maybe just a smidge less northerly hardiness (to zone 5). The much larger blooms and robust growth potential all point to a winning presentation. Who could not wish to grow a dogwood with flowers 5-7 inches across?

These gems are the product of Rutgers University's Dr. Elwin Orton, as fine a gentleman and plantsman as you'll ever meet. He is well known for his work with the genus Ilex and with Cornus. These two plants have been in evaluation for decades, so there should be little worry that they are worthy of landscape use.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Great info! I hope it won't be too long before I can afford a Rutgersensis. Thanks. I really like the blooms in the second pic. Beautiful!

If I haven't abused the two of these too badly this past year, maybe they'll shine like the celestial beings they are named after come this spring.

I'll post the results.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

I hope you don't forget. I'm anxious to see it.

Whilst laying home on my deathbed (OK - slight exaggeration from the model patient), I dredged up some more images for those not yet impressed.

Cornus x Starlight™ again...

Posted on top of each other, out of the blue - how is that even possible?

Here's another shot of Cornus x Venus™...

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Beautiful. I'd put that one in the plant files with your other one.

edit: I was referring to Starlight above.

But I think I'm going to have to have Venus first after looking at its pics and description in PFs.

This message was edited Jan 24, 2012 12:08 PM

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

I have a couple Rutgersensis Dogwoods - until recently two Celestial White's (one broke at the base during the past Oct. snow storm and the other needed a major trim to clean up the broken branches) and a recent Celestial Shadow purchase last fall - the two whites I had robust growth although the blooms not so much - last year I decided to use tree stake fertilizer to encourage more blooms - is this the correct action for increased blooming?

Attached is a picture of the now deceased tree last spring.....

Thumbnail by wha
Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Wow, wha. That's pretty. That must have hurt pretty bad.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

it did - there is a stewarthia that will take its place.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Excellent choice. I just have to get me one of those. I tried one once and killed it promptly.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

thanks - mine has been in a container for a few years and it is about time it was planted.

so are the fertilizer stakes the correct action for more blooms? both trees only bloomed on lower branches and the above picture aside they were not covered in blooms, in fact they only had blooms on lower branches.

thx

Most times that question is asked, the immediate rejoinder is: have you done a soil test to determine your current level of fertility?

If you don't care (and want to fertilize anyway) I'd still avoid using the stakes/spikes - unless your tree's roots only grow in those spots. If your tree has normal roots that radiate away from the trunk and colonize available soil volumes, then I'd use a granular or water-soluble fertilizer that can be distributed over the entire root zone. You will find that this is easier, less expensive, and far more effective.

Barring further information, choose a relatively balanced fertilizer.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks VV

I have not done the soil test and plan too this spring and i will remember the suggestion about granular fertilizer which i typically use although i had the spikes left over from several years ago and instead of looking at them on my work bench decided to use them up.

This message was edited Feb 2, 2012 9:08 PM

Those spikes/stakes might be a great addition to future container plants, where they'll service a smaller soil (less) volume and not wash through as quickly as a granular or soluble fertilizer might.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

i have a box or so left so thanks i will save them for that - was thinking about breaking them up to granular form

Is your middle name "Rube Goldberg"?

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

i am sure that is funny if i knew what you meant by rube goldberg :)

just a yankee

Not a regional colloquialism - Victor could fill you in, as he is likely familiar.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.