cool perennial for 2012

(Zone 4b)

in late fall echinaceamaniac had posted somewhere about a new delosperma "Fire Spinner".

http://www.plantdelights.com/Delosperma-Fire-Spinner-Fire-Spinner-Perennial-Ice-Plant/productinfo/9675

Now that we are well into 2012 I am starting to see it for purchase from on-line nurseries. Given that it is almost ground cover in terms of height I am sure I can find space for it somewhere in my garden.

Do you have one new plant for 2012 that you are dying to get (whether or not you need it ;))

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

That one's on my list too. High Country Gardens has it too and they also sell flats of it if you really love it and want a lot of it. http://www.highcountrygardens.com/index/page/product/product_id/4498

(Zone 4b)

Thanks for the link but I need an Ontario Canada nursery. I will post over in the Canadian forum.

This message was edited Jan 20, 2012 11:18 AM

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

That looks gorgeous and interesting. Things I want, but don't need, are some Itoh peonies (expensive!) and Himalayan blue poppies, which I am trying a second time to start from seed.

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

I want all those new Echinaceas (coneflowers) which are so attractive with those new colors and unusual flower types! There must be a hundred new hybrids. I am waiting to get any,as I wasted a lot of $ on those new types of Coriopsis that came out some years ago, and they were all annuals for me, except "Jethro Tull" which survives but always look ratty. This last spring "Springcolor" who lives near me north of Seattle, bought a big selection of the new Echinaceas and is growing them- I am going to see what looks good for her.

New recent plants that did well for me include 'Rozanne" geraniums, Eryngium "Blue Hobbit" grows great, tho it is so tiny it is not very visible, Gaillardia "Oranges and Lemons" never quits blooming, Cotula "Tiffendel Gold" from High Country Gardens loves my clay rock garden and is evergreen, Mukdenia "Crimson Fans" is nice and trouble free, Itoh Peony "Bartzella" is beyond fabulous,

Duds for me included "Blue Fortune" Agastache (to be fair it is clay), Campanula "Blue Waterfall" (tho perhaps I did not water it enough), Penstemon "Margarita BOP"- I guess it's just too wet in the winter,, same for "Moonraker" Phygelius and a whole bunch of perennial Salvias,

Lake Stevens, WA

MLM,
Read some of the posts over on the coneflower forum and talk with me before you buy any of the new coneflowers. They need good drainage and some are just duds.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I agre on Cones.
Delospermas are WOW.
I am cautiously ordering Astrantias to fill in around lilies. Starting with just one. Not a lot of my favorite nurseries carry any.
Abby Road

Thumbnail by ge1836
(Zone 4b)

Quote from ge1836 :
I am cautiously ordering Astrantias to fill in around lilies.

Me too ie Astrantia's are wonderful plants of which I have none right now.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Not many websites have them.I just want to see if they adapt here.

(Zone 4b)

Just for info take a look at all these Astrantia selections (16!) available at this nursery:

http://www.losthorizons.ca/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1&category_id=&page=shop.browse&keyword=Astrantia&limit=10&limitstart=0

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Beautiful choices. Thanks for a great link.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Yes many thanks I will add o favorits.

Lake Stevens, WA

This nursery has a heuchera I want. Googled the location only 2600 miles from my home one way! Wish I was going on a road trip! No mail order either. They have some nice plants.

Which heuchera?

Lake Stevens, WA

'Orangeman' A person on ATP was posting about it. Loved it.

I'll have to take a look. In general the peach to orange heucheras and I do not get along but a friend is giving me her 'Sweet Tea' before she moves this spring. We'll see if it does better than Amber Waves and all the others that have disappeared.

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

In what conditions do your heucheras thrive in? I have mine planted in partial sun/shade, just at the furthest outstretches of a large Japanese maple. They have been there 2 years or so. I have 4 or 5 different varieties. mulched with compost. They look healthy, but they haven't grown at all. Still same size as when I purchased them. Thoughts? Recs?

Those that do the best for me are in only early morning sun. I have a few that do fine with more sun but the peach family was disaster in full sun. They grew smaller every year until they just disappeared.

Purple Petticoats does do very well in afternoon sun but a storm took out a tree last year that had given it shade from the western sun. If I see that it shows any signs of getting crispy I'll move it.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

My Purple Petticoats gets filtered sun in the AM and direct sun after 2.I have it in a container with a border lily Tiny Athlete.I add annuals.

The peaches and yellows dont live in the same area. I had Caramel there and it slowly disappeared.

This message was edited Jan 22, 2012 6:04 AM

Thumbnail by ge1836
(Zone 4b)

Quote from springcolor :
This nursery has a heuchera I want. Googled the location only 2600 miles from my home one way! Wish I was going on a road trip! No mail order either. They have some nice plants.

I live about 50 minutes away from this nursery by car. It is a one of a kind nursery with an enormous selection of plants and outstanding show gardens. I go there (too) often for as you can see they have unique plants. I am awaiting the release of their 2012 online catalogue.

Nice colors in your combo, ge. Good to know I'm not the only one with disappearing heuchera.

Rouge - when the online catalogue does come out please post a link so we can at least look at it. Thanks!

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

Love the container planting, ge, and I also love your stone walkway. Looks delightful, and makes me wonder where it leads you.....front door? back yard? side yard?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Dont get me going.I am such a show off. The stones came from DD's old house.They put in a patio and these were left over. Holikrap they each weighed around 400 pounds and there were many.GS is a football player,he helped.
I planned gardens around them because they only got placed once.
They lead from the driveway back past the deck and to the backyard.
https://picasaweb.google.com/118247922869033571662/DeckwalkSlabs02?authkey=Gv1sRgCISpouad34y75QE

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

Wow, ge, you have given me hours of things to look at in your albums. Thank you The stonework is beautiful, and WOW---perfect amazing gardens! Great work!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

It really is a life saver. I dont know what would become of me if I didnt have a challange like this.

Lake Stevens, WA

rouge21, You are lucky! Wish I could just drive there. Take some pictures next time you go, A gal can dream!

ge1836, I will have to look at your photos later. So many! The file fronts are beautiful!

(Zone 4b)

Quote from springcolor :
rouge21, You are lucky! Wish I could just drive there. Take some pictures next time you go, A gal can dream!

Well 'gal' ;) here is "Lost Horizons" photo album showing the 4 seasons of their extraordinary display gardens:

http://www.losthorizons.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=89&Itemid=64

This message was edited Jan 23, 2012 5:54 AM

This message was edited Jan 23, 2012 5:59 AM

Lake Stevens, WA

Oh man your killing me. If I ever get close to that area i'm going to visit. A freind and I were thinking of taking a trip to Mt. Rushmore. What is that half way!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

fantastic gardens

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Wow!!!! My favs. Spring: #6 weeping mulberry, #? Cercise forest pansy, #81 Larch weeping. Summer: #54 Erumeris, #61 Turk's Cap Lilies, #? weeping larch, #73 Aruncus maybe, #84 Astrantia. Thanx for the link.

pix is Thermopsis

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Andover, MN(Zone 3b)

Springcolor, just because it's hard to wait for spring thaw - what does Raspberry Truffle (I think that's right) coneflower perform like in your opinion? It's a few zones out of my area. Couldn't resist.

Lake Stevens, WA

That coneflower is only in its 2nd year here. It did make it throught two winters. This is the year for it to jump. I think 'Coral Reef' is much better.

Jamaica Plain, MA(Zone 6a)

My first delosperma lasted 3 years before dying, but two others I tried since then didn't come back the second year. My neighbor from Costa Rica says that they grow like weeds there, so I figure they need a more temperate climate. I've given up on them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.