Hydroponic clay for orchids

Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

I was recently given about 10 pounds of Hydroton Leca Clay from some one no longer into hydroponics and has moved back to soil. He was tols it was a good medium for orchids. Anybody have any experience with this stuff? I seem to remember a thread, but can't find it.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Ted, some of the orchids I inherited were potted in it. I'm sort of experimenting with it at this point. Some seem to do well in it and others, not so much. I'm not using the bottom watering method it was designed for. The only plant I left in it is Ansellia africana, and it is doing great. I just potted a Phal in some, so we shall see.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I use Hydroton as a mixed media. It either wasn't around or available in my old orchid incarnation so it was a new medium for me to experiment with. I don't use it for bottom watering; rather as a light weight alternative for plants that need frequent watering and grow in lithophytic situations. Most plants that I use it with are described as growing on rock outcroppings or, alternatively, trees, so I mostly mix it with bark and tree fern. Less frequently with coco chips that stay more wet. It's excellent for pot drainage but being a porous medium it will collect fertilizer and water mineral salts. It needs to be soaked in a large amount of water to reuse. Changing the water and leaving it soak for an indefinite time is what I do. I then boil mine in a dedicated pot (because of the fert and insecticides) before reusing to sterilize it. Hydroponic growers seem enthusiastic about Hydroton. I prefer more organic products and mounting. I'd probably use it more if I grew rupicolous laelias. If you want me to check my specific plants growing in this medium I'll make a short list and why I thought it was a good idea at the time. I pot by intuition. If the plant grows on river banks or outcroppings, like Epi. longicaule http://www.orchidspecies.com/epilongicaule.htm I get out the Hydroton.

Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

Carol, How is that Phal doing

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Hi Ted! The Phals dont like it a bit! They also don't like the dried pine bark. So far, fine orchid mix, coarse orchid mix, Spagnum, and coco chips are all doing well. I have mixed the Hydroton in with other mixes , and used it for bottom drainage in some of the top heavy orchids. It is very light (floats) when dry, but when wet, it adds weight to the pot. Tough to judge when to water though. I wouldn't go out and buy it. I agree with laurel...I prefer organic mixes.
Hope you are enjoying this beautiful weather as much as I am!

Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

I'm just looking for an answer. Seems I have had a little success with Phals and none With Catt. Can't get them to re-bloom. I decided today after working in the garden in this BEAUTIFUL weather to concentrate on these two. I tried to start by re-potting one in ceramic and bark. It's actually a Doritaenopsis. Big leafed Phal to me. Guess I'll be re-potting that one later today. I do have coco chips so maybe I'll try that

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

It is really best suited for a warm, wet/humid environment and a dedicated fert program.

I am having good growth and spikes forming with the few Catts. I grow in pots using wine corks.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

The ceramic and bark may work. My experiment is with 7 standard, white Phals, that were a funeral arrangment...read overfed, forced greenhouse plants.I hate to admit it , but the best looking ones are the two I left in the original long fiber spagnum. Phals do seem to like even moisture, as opposed to soak and dry for most orchids. I'm still trying to figure this stuff out. My Catts are on life support, while my Laelias thrive. My intergeneric Onc. are not doing well, while my little dancing lady takes whatever. My old Epis that I've had over 25years bloom year round , while the hybrid I bought last year is at deaths door. And then there's the weed. I love my Gerberara 'snow ballet' It's like the energizer bunny...just keeps going and going ,no matter what. I may not live long enough to figure this stuff out, but I'll keep trying

Thumbnail by OCCAROL
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Carol, just love that hanging basket! Are each of those plants in a separate pot, then arranged in the basket, or are they potted in the basket together?

I have a big hanger like that just waiting for the right grouping of plants to come along. Hadn't thought of a collection of several same variety orchids of different colors in there together. Beautiful!

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Haha! That's one plant. It opens either lavender or Pink/yellow (depending on what, I don't know), then fades to white with purple spots. I call it the weed because it is indestructable. Jim has a piece of it so he can probably be talked out of a division when his outgrows it's pot. That shouldn't take long.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Ted, If you would like a division of the Gerberara, I divided that one into three pieces this year, plus I have a piece mounted on the lemon tree, so you are welcome to come and get one.
Carol

Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

Oh yah. I'm there.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

D-mail me.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.