Some Advice on Soil, Please

Cuyahoga Falls, OH(Zone 5a)

I am new to African Violets. I bought one at our garden center this summer. I left it in it's own little pot, and it bloomed all summer. Now it has two crowns, and I read that I should divide it so it will bloom again.

My question is this - Can I re-pot with all purpose soil, or do I need special soil. Also, can I use Miracle Grow, or do I need special African Violet food.

Thanks for your expertise.

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

My violets are potted in MG African Violet potting mix. I add perlite to my mix because I wick water my plants. If you just have one or two violets, you can use 2 parts MG mix to 1 part perlite. If you decide to wick water, then the ration is 50/50. I usually add just a little more perlite to my mix. There are a few thread lately about wick watering and also some videos showing how. Check some of the later postings.

imadigger - Love your username ! Me too ! Thanks for your advice. I guess a trip to the garden center is in my near future. I'll look for the other threads.

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Countrymom, check out this video. How to wick-water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8D82zC3CBw&feature=youtu.be

imadigger - Thanks for the linky !

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

make sure to watch all her videos. very good information. I've bookmarked it for future reference.

Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

Hey, so glad to meet a neighbour! I don't have a worthy advice on soil but really wanted to say hi, I think you're only a few miles away from me. We tried to start an AV club here, please LMK if interested.

Happy growing,
Maria

carpathiangirl - well hi neighbor! Nice to meet you too. Thanks for the invitation. I will think remember that if I really get into houseplants. I transplanted my violet this morning and to my surprise, there were three crowns, not two! I'm anxious to see how they grow now.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.