What would you choose for this circular garden?

(Zone 4b)

I am considering removing some back yard lawn and replace this grass with perennials and maybe some annuals. The shape of this new small garden will be circular, about 6 to 7 feet in diameter and will be front and centre in the back yard. It is full sun and zone 5/6.
I know it is a compact area but I was thinking of having some eye catching perennial planted right in the centre and then other plants surrounding.

What selection of plants would you choose in such circumstances?

I think it would depend on what you personally like - grasses, roses, prairie plants, natives - and if you have color preferences. Since it's going to be "front and center", you should really like what's in that bed.

(Zone 4b)

For sure Cindy. But mostly I am looking for input regarding the centre plant; something that will really attract attention. I can figure out the 'filler' plants.

I'm terribly ignorant about full-sun plants since I garden in a lot of shade. A purple-leaved or variegated canna? A shrub rose with blooms throughout the summer? A tall majestic grass? A Clematis vine on an obelisk? A scented or butterfly garden?

(Zone 4b)

Quote from CindyMzone5 :
A shrub rose with blooms throughout the summer? A tall majestic grass? A Clematis vine on an obelisk? [/quote]

All three are excellent suggestions. I am seriously considering either the rose or the clem. (I know grasses have their place I just think I want something with flower colour.)

[quote="CindyMzone5"]I'm terribly ignorant about full-sun plants since I garden in a lot of shade.

I would love to pick your brain re your success with flowers in a garden which experiences lots of shade.

Re: the Clem - make sure you'll be able to keep it's roots cool with perhaps shredded leaves as a mulch. You might want to check over in the vines/Clematis forum to select the most appropriate variety.
As for the shady gardening bit, there's lots of great information over in that forum as well as gardeners with more experience than I. I'll see you over there!

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

How tall are you looking for? Might have a bunch of ideas for you based on the answer.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
(Zone 4b)

Thanks warrior for the offer of help. I am thinking 4 foot tops.

At first I thought of a compact Baptisia but they dont really bloom long enough.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Neither would many clematises.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Ok, from my own experience The best of all I will list is Leucanthemum (Daisy Becky) books say 36" but mine gets to 48" and blooms June til frost if deadheaded, I randomly cut stems back to about 4" from the ground above a node. That way every cut produces 2 more stems tall enough for vase use. If its cut back as blooms start to decline, there are still blooms so it won't look like its been given a haircut. Max diameter will be about 30-36" (ground level). This plant will die out from the center after 3-4 years but are easy to rejuvinate. Either dig and cut into pieces or dig out the very center where die off has occured. Shovel prune out the center, deep and replace the soil, it will fill in again with new growth.

Some others I can think of that I've grown: Achillea Gold Plate or Parker's Gold, both about 4ftX3ft w., annual Cosmos b., Gaura linheimeri 4ftX30" w., Lavatera Barnsley at 5ft., Heliopsis helianthoides "Summer Sun" at 5ft summer and fall. Japanese or Siberian Iris (flowers would be in June but foliage would be tall and spikey.

Roses: could go with shrub type; rugosas,floribunda or grandifloras, these would bloom all summer. Heights vary as do fragrances available.

One thing you might want to reconsider is the size of the bed. Most of the above plants would fill up half the bed with little room left for shorter things. From 6 to 10 or 12 ft would be more aesteticallly pleasing. Besides that, once you get it planted you'll have wished for a bigger space, lol.

Hope that gives you a few ideas, I'm quite sure there are more things that could be used. The above pix shows the daisy and lavatera (pink) .

You could also put some sort to stake in the center and plant annnual vines for all summer color. Personally I go to Home Depot and get 10ft pieces of rebar ($3-5 ish) for vines to climb. Or an obelysk could be made from lumber or bought. You could combine both clematis (type 3 or C) which has to be cut down in fall or early spring, with annual vines to give more continuous color and then easy cleanup.

Hope that opens up a few ideas for you to use, not sure what your gardening experience is. Just dig in and enjoy, lol. Kathy

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
(Zone 4b)

Quote from pirl :
Neither would many clematises.

Arabella (trained to an obelisk) should provide a long duration of flowers.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I'm missing out on Arabella, sorry. I do have 85+ clematises and none bloom "all summer".

(Zone 4b)

Quote from warriorswisdomkathy :
The best of all I will list is Leucanthemum (Daisy Becky) books say 36" but mine gets to 48" and blooms June til frost if deadheaded,[/quote]

Excellent suggestion Kathy but I have exactly one of these Beckys about 15 feet away in an already established garden. Even in its first summer (2011) it grew to 4 feet and gave wonderful flowers. However I was not nearly as successful as you in getting it to flower for such a long time; definitely no blooms in September...probably ended in mid August maybe.

Quote from warriorswisdomkathy :

Roses: could go with shrub type; rugosas,floribunda or grandifloras, these would bloom all summer. Heights vary as do fragrances available. [/quote]

Yes a rose is definitely a possibility....maybe one of the 'Fairy Tale' offerings

[quote="warriorswisdomkathy"]One thing you might want to reconsider is the size of the bed. Most of the above plants would fill up half the bed with little room left for shorter things. From 6 to 10 or 12 ft would be more aesteticallly pleasing. Besides that, once you get it planted you'll have wished for a bigger space, lol.

I agree completely but I am not sure my better half will be agreeable to me taking out *more* lawn for flower gardens!

[quote="warriorswisdomkathy"]Hope that opens up a few ideas for you to use, not sure what your gardening experience is. Just dig in and enjoy, lol. Kathy

Thank you very much for an outstanding post. I have been gardening 'seriously' for the past 3 or 4 summers and the obsession grows!

Pittsburgh, PA

My arabella, two years old, bloomed all summer.

Thumbnail by obliqua

Is it possible to combine two types of Clematis on one trellis? An early bloomer vs late bloomer? Or would they have different pruning requirements?

(Zone 4b)

Quote from obliqua :
My arabella, two years old, bloomed all summer.

Did you let it 'scramble' on the ground or did you train it to an obelisk? If the latter how tall did it grow?

Pittsburgh, PA

My arabella grew up a 2ft high trellis, and looked like it was scrambling on the ground, since the trellis was low. It bloomed all the way into November.

I am going to put it on a taller trellis this year.

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

Do you care what it looks like during the winter? Will you have view of this bed from your home? Dependng on how you answer those two questions could direct you plants and garden structures that provide winter interest.

(Zone 4b)

This medallion will be in the centre of the backyard easily visible fromn the kitchen and of course from the outside deck off the kitchen. WInter interest is not crucial as there are surrounding gardens on the perimeter of the backyard as well as evergreen cedar hedges down the sides that fill that role.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.