Happy New year!

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Well it's been quiet on this forum so, time to wake it up for a moment.

A very recent shot of my "tray of Adelae".

This message was edited Jan 8, 2012 8:03 AM

Thumbnail by tommyr2006
noonamah, Australia

That looks good Tommy, it's an iteresting plant. I've been to its native habitat but never saw any. Not that I was looking for it, at the time I didn't know anything about it.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Wow! Now, that's quite a tray full!

Fungus gnats or any other critter shouldn't stand a chance in that room... LOL

Fungus gnats DO stand a chance unfortunately. These will help with them but not totally eliminate them. Sticky traps and mosquito dunks in your watering can will help along with manual (I.E. kill by hand!) will help a lot.
With carnivorous plants (except for Nepenthes) water trays are used. These present a mosquito and fungus gnat issue. BT is an effective method of control. "Mosquito dunks" contain BT and kill the larvae. A product called "Gnatrol" also is supposed to help but I have no experience with that as of yet.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

You know, the few fungus gnats that show up around my house find D. binata irresistable. It's like catnip for them... LOL

Since I grow mostly Gesneriads and Begonias and none of these like wet mix, I don't really have a fungus gnat issue.

However, I was always wondering what CP-growers do about this, pretty much inevitable, issue. Interesting, interesting. :)

noonamah, Australia

What you should do is grow Utricularias in the watertrays. I have an old bath tub which has some waterplants in it and no fish. I also have U. gibba in it and there's never been a mosquito larva in it yet that I've seen. I've heard other similar 'success' stories like that about U. gibba. It's a fully aquatic Utric. and will even sit happily in very shallow water.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

And you can find U. gibba in the aquarium trade from time to time. It's a pretty common aquarium "weed"...

north coast nsw, Australia

Ohhh i love that...

She's throwing up flowers now!

Thumbnail by tommyr2006
Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Cool!!!

noonamah, Australia

They look great.

She's a blooming now.

Thumbnail by tommyr2006
noonamah, Australia

I like that. All my Drosera and Utricularia are just growing in their native state on my place. Except for the U. gibba in the old bathtub. Keep telling my self one day I'll set some up in containers but i never seem to get the time. They look really good the way you have them set up there.

My Spatulata are blooming as well now. I just took a couple of VFTs out of the fridge too to start waking up!

Ahhh, spring is coming! about time!

This message was edited Mar 4, 2012 8:51 PM

alright alright! hehe! summer just ended here. Not looking forward to winter though.
I just got some Adelae
and just potted up these Utricularia tridentata(purple flowers) and U. praelonga(yellow flowers)
and my U. reiniformis.

Thumbnail by breeindy Thumbnail by breeindy Thumbnail by breeindy

Congrats Bree! I am becoming an expert on Adalea, Scorps and Spatulata.
I don't have any Utricularia.....yet! Someday I suppose!

Have FUN!

Thanks! i just don't have patience for plants that go dormant (my flytraps have been in the fridge for a few years) wonder if i could get them growing again? This is what turned me off Droseras, having to sow there seeds for more plants. Thats why i love my Sarracenias and Nepenthes..always there.

Thumbnail by breeindy Thumbnail by breeindy Thumbnail by breeindy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.