Tubers are growing help!!!

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

I checked my tubers in the garage. Some have spoiled but some are trying to grow. I dry mine and wrap in saran. They don't dessicate and most don't rot. But it is only January 5. I have five months before they can go outside, and I usually convert the garage to a greenhouse and put stuff in dirt: begonias Feb first, dahlias Mar 15. I have cut away where I thought I could salvage a tuber (especially where I only have one of a kind) the rot and left them to dry out on the cut portion. But then must decide what to do. Even some that have a touch of rot are sending out growth. Suggestions.

Athens, PA

Mary

Mine are starting to sprout too. We are supposed to hit 47 degrees here today, so I know my tubers wont' be cold enough to stay dormant.

I checked mine last weekend.

How do you store yours? Any losses? And we are still looking at 10F, so I don't know if the weather outside is as important as the dahlias little internal clocks. Strange. When can you plant yours outside?

Athens, PA

Mary

I generally plant Mayish. I have heard they are to be planted out when the leaves come on the trees, but I do wait longer that that - we have had some pretty wild weather in May some years.

I store my tubers at the top of my stairs into my attic. My attic is not heated, but by the top of the stairs there is enough warmth to keep them from freezing each year. I also store my callas there as well - I should probably take a look at them too....

Losses are generally are minimal.......

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I haven't checked mine yet. When I do take a look I'll report on what I've seen. Ours are downstairs where it's 60. I can't risk the attic.

Mine should have been around 40-50 on a bottom shelf on an outside wall in our garage. I guess I didn't do too good a job of drying them out, or dug them too soon.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.