How to keep amaryllis after bloom

Morgantown, WV

I have three bulbs that bloomed through thechristmas season. How do i store them now till spring. Do i store them in a cool place and bring them out in spring. Do I just keep them as a house plant? Thanks for any info.

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Continue to grow them and feed them like any other houseplant. Put them outside after all danger of frost is gone.
They MUST continue to grow leaves or they won't make more flowers.

Morgantown, WV

Thanks for your reply. I have never had these before. So I will treat them as houseplant. In spring after last frost I can put them out in the garden.

Yup! To rebloom for Christmas again stop watering around the first to middle of August and put in a cool, dry place. Do not allow to freeze. After the foliage dies back it's time to WAIT. Put in a cool, dry,dark spot in the house. In about a month or 2 you should see white new leaf tips starting to come up. THAT is the signal to take it out and place it in a sunny window after giving it a big drink of slightly warm water. IF the plant got enough Sun and food over the past summer it should throw up a flower spike eventually soon. Sometimes they take a year off. In that case keep growing as a houseplant and do the same thing again in August.

Quincy, MA

The flowers are gone. Do I cut down the flower stem or not. My plant isn't in dirt . It's in a glass vase with rocks. Should I pot it in dirt? Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Cut the flower stems and plant in well drained potting mix.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.