Javalina wild pigs

Tucson, AZ

A herd of javalina/pecari wild pigs ate up my tomato plants and some other flowering plants last week. Seeking advice. Cannot put up fence at the particular area because of home owner association rules. I am in Marana, a Tucson suburb. My home is 1/2 mile from a National Forest where the pigs live and roam. What vegetable will they not eat?

Zephyrhills, FL

I don't know of anything, having nutrition, a pig won't eat.
Del

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Pigs will eat ANYTHING...........we used to raise hogs and I know this. However, I must admend that comment...........they will not eat corncobs. Anything else is fair game. No matter if it is rotten, stinky, and slimey and the grossest thing on the earth. A feast for hogs.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

The real problem with pigs is they will root up everything with their snouts. Our garden club put in several big beds of spreading junipers in a county park. They figured the wild hogs wouldn't be interested in them. Within a week, all the plants were uprooted, and the beds had been well fertilized by the hogs. My husband claims that pigs won't eat citrus. I personally have my doubts about that.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Hmmm............I don't remember if they ate the grapefruit rinds when I threw them out there. I used to always take my kitchen trash up to the pigs. It was just kitchen scraps, newspaper and old magazines. I would put it all up in the part where they sleep, and they would have great fun making "bedding" out of the paper. They LOVED to chew up paper. And they ate the kitchen "stuff". We haven't had pigs for 10 years now, and the mind is getting cloudy. LOLOL

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Catch and release ----far away..

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

My brother lives in Tucson at the foot of Mt. Lemon.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.