(Ladygardenr1) Chris First

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Our friend Chris First, known to us as Ladygardener1 passed away on September 9th after a battle with cancer. She joined us on April 4th, 2006 and was an active and well-loved member of our Mid-Atlantic Forum.

Chris loved growing flowers and vegetables and often shared her knowledge with the folks in the Beginner Forums. She guided newbies with the grace of a seasoned teacher and was able to help without being overbearing or judgmental. Her gentle lessons are a wonderful legacy and new gardeners will benefit from her experience even years from now.

Her smile lit up the forums and while we are grateful that we had this time with her, she will be missed very much.

Here's the link to her home town obituary: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/erietimesnews/obituary.aspx?n=christine-ann-first&pid=153628498

Thumbnail by melody
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Chris was a joy to know, gentle and compassionate with tiny plants, with her friends & family, and with anybody who needed a helping hand.

She helped me through a rocky time even while fighting her own battle. She was passionate about meeting the needs of others dealing with breast cancer, about the need for making information and resources readily available as well as providing more personal support.

I got to know her first as a gardener and plant lover, and the more I came to know her, the more proud and grateful I was to call her my friend.

Falls Church, VA(Zone 7a)

I just got the news yesterday, and even though, with her prolonged absence, I'd begun fearing the worst, I hoped she was just taking some time to rest and regain her strength before coming back. Her spirit was so indomitable, I truly wanted to think she could just keep on keeping on... :-(

I hope she was able to take that long-planned family trip to the mountains in August!

Such a wonderful lady and I'm so glad I got to know her, if only on-line. May she rest in peace, and I know her legacy will live forever, in our hearts, and through all the gifts she so freely shared with us all, whether it was plants, recipes or just kind words.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Rest in peace, Chris - we will miss you!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Chris was one of my first DG Friends. Both of us new to DG and we bonded quickly. My fondest memory was getting to meet her in person at our Plant Swap in 2009. We sat on the front porch just the two of us and talked for a short while. She has enriched both My Gardens and My Life. I told her once that she reminded me of a strong oak tree standing firm, roots digging in deep, weathering the storm of her illness. Her courage, kindest and grace will all ways be with me.

Athens, PA

Chris was such a wonderful lady. I am so sorry about her pasing. She will live on our hearts

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

It was a joy to have known Chris through these threads. I'll think of her whenever I see Disneyworld, columbines, or the ''hang in there'' kitty that she liked. She gave us Mid Atlantics lots of good garden advice and seeds, too. And so many great recipes. What a model of taking life as it comes and making the best of it. She'll be missed by many. She'll be remembered in my garden for years to come.

Thumbnail by sallyg
(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

I am proud to have known Chris and was encouraged from her strength.
She will be sadly missed by many people here for sure.

Athens, PA

Quote from Carolyn22 :
Chris was such a wonderful lady. I am so sorry about her passing. She will live on our hearts

Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

I only met Chriss once, at the Plant swap at Hollies' house. She gave me a little hydrangea which I bought home and planted. When I moved out of my house the hydrangea came with me. Every time I look out at it I think of Chris and am happy that I met her. Rest in peace and love.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

She will def be missed. Will miss her pretty seed packets that she shared at seed swaps. She was such a sweet lady and was glad to have 1st met her when we went to Longwood Gardens.

Thumbnail by flowAjen
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

She will be missed.. thoughts & prayers to family & friends

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Yes, her smile was everything and she was gentle. We became friends, when out of the blue, she sent me seeds, Columbine being one.

She made it easy to discuss cancer. It wasn't a secret word anymore, said in whispers, and it really helped us to rally around her.

I thought she might make it till this Spring, but it wasn't to be. So with a heavy heart, I say Rest In Peace Chris. You will be missed even more now.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Goodbye my friend, you will be missed by so many. Chris gave me inspiration throughout her battle and I am proud and blessed to have had her as a friend. She may have lost the battle, but she is a winner to all of us and will live on in our hearts forever.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I just loved that she and Paul were able to visit us for the plant swap, meeting her in person and chatting that day made our future exchanges all the more meaningful. Her spirit and grace in the face of her illness gave others strength and endeared her to anyone she touched. She truly was the Lady Gardner, and is missed. RIP
Holly's Ric

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I'm missing Chris today.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Oh Sally, It is such a beautiful spring day that Chris has made more beautiful for me with plants and seeds she shared. My columbine will bloom soon. Chris showed me it is possible and very nice to grow COlumbine around maple trees.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Billy, I miss you. Seems as though our paths don't cross much anymore. I'm not posting as much as before, don't seem to have time to venture out into DG very far or often.
We are hosting a plant swap this spring, it will be the second time we hosted and I was just thinking the other day that Chris was at our last swap. She sure is missed.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

:(

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Hi Holly,
I was missing you guys too. I haven't been on the gardening sites either, but am trying harder. :o)

I really miss Chris's smile, and am glad there is a picture here. I know she has all the flowers she wants now, but I do miss talking to her here.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

So do I.
Not sure how much posting I will be doing. Ric and I are hosting a swap in May and a Garden Tour in Sept so I will have to try and keep things as nice as I can. Plus I am working at Lowes again this summer. I hope all is going well for you.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

All is well :o)

Have a good summer!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.