Orchid on cork

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

I mounted my phal on a piece of cork and with some sphagnum moss as someone suggested.........it's doing good. However, I'm wondering if I could also put a small (really small) one on there too. Gads, I forgot the name, but the bloom is a small pitcher plant flower. Or should I post a pic tomorrow so you can see if there would be enough room? I don't know what passes for "crowding" in a situation like that.

Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

Yes put up a picture. If the plant you're looking to add is a Paphiopedilum ( Paph) then the answer is no. Not because of overcrowding. I have a couple of two orchid baskets from Any's. But because Paphs are terrestrial and need an orchid media to grow in

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

I mis-named my small orchid..........it's a Lady's Slipper orchid. Not Pitcher plant. Gah!!!! My "remember-er" is shot. :>) Is it still one that needs a medium to grow in? And can't be grown on cork with some spaghnum?

Hammonton, NJ(Zone 6b)

Name mix-ups happen to the best of us! Nothing is wrong with that noggin of yours. :P

Lady Slipper orchids (aka paphs) are a terrestrial type of orchids and therefore will not grow on a mount. They need to be potted. If I were you I'd repot your paph with some small orchid bark, charcoal, and perlite mixture. They do well in lower - mid light conditions and seem to bloom consistently for me once each new growth matures. Good luck with it!

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

I have some commercial orchid mix.............I probably should repot in the same pot, as the medium is lookin' kinda, well, needing replacement. LOL

the poor orchid kind of got ignored last summer and I thought it was going to croak. However, once I started watering it again, it has made 3 new places of growth. Looking pretty decent again, albeit small.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Here is the Lady Slipper orchid. You can see the 3 babies coming along the parent.

Thumbnail by Anna_Z
Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

And the phal on the cork. Ya, I know.............black pantyhose kinda detract, but it was all I had at the time. LOL

Thumbnail by Anna_Z

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.