Memberships

Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

Just curious. How many belong to a local club/organization and how many belong to AOS

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I belonged to the American Orchid Society years ago but don't belong now. They are a good source for information. I'm very active in the Atlanta Orchid Society and am a big advocate for joining a local society. The access to information and support as well as spending time with people who have a common interest is invaluable. That said, we're a pretty diverse and quirky crew. Our individual growing situations and interests run the gamut. An active society will spend some of its budget on guest speakers who are experts in their specialties and these speakers, if they are also growers, generally bring plants to sell at discounted prices. In addition, monthly raffles and periodic auctions are typical. These more social functions include pot lucks. Most societies have lending libraries. Members can check out books at one meeting and return them a month later at the next. There is a monthly news letter that includes informational articles and orchid related events. We also have members who volunteer to host "green grower" events. These can be anything from touring a professional grower/member's greenhouse for the day, and buying discounted plants, to visiting someone's basement and seeing how and what they grow under lights. I coordinate the mentoring program for our society. That means I meet new members, find out what their experience and interests are and, if they'd like, introduce them to an experienced member who shares similar growing interests. I have been known to make house calls to novice growers requesting advice. Our dues are $30 for a single membership and $45 for a family membership; a small price to pay considering the benefits.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I belong to the Tampa Orchid Club which meets once a month. I agree with Laurel on the advantages.

Jim

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

I so wish I had a mentor who coulc come to my house and help me the closest orchid people I know of are 40-50 miles away

I do too.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I belong to my local Orchid club, Catoctin Orchid Society. We meet once a month for 9 months of the year. Dues are $15. We are a very tiny group but helpful.
http://www.catoctinorchidsociety.org/

Nice web site, streetcol. Thanks for sharing. Our DD lives and works in Maryland. I was just there a few months ago. Maybe you can share places to go orchid crawling when I return.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

MaypopLaurel-
I do not have any local favorite places yet. I just moved from PA and had great places to look at/ buy plants. I have bought most of my orchids online since the move. However I am new to orchids and my great orchid "support group". The society is very helpful especially with all my newbie questions. I highly suggest joining a local group.

Societies are a great place to learn about local growers so maybe when I return to D.C. you will have a few special places to share. I have read about Al's, but it seemed a bit far from where I was staying.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.