Oregano: Ornamental

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Someone posted a picture of a very pretty Oregano that was growing in their garden. I think it was Wee Robin, but I cannot find it now. Could anyone direct me to this thread? Or give me the name of the Oregano? It was similar to Kent Beauty, but I think it was even prettier. I cannot remember the name of this particular oregano.

Lake Stevens, WA

I didn't see it but would it have been 'Barbara Tingey'?

Lake Stevens, WA

or 'Amethyst Falls' Both very nice The flowers are not as large as 'Kent beauty' but similar in color. High country gardens is a good place to look.

I've always coveted this type of oregano but I thought they liked cooler summers. I may eavesdrop to find out more.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I believe it was 'Amethyst Falls'. I did not realize the flowers were not as large as 'Kent Beauty'. Thanks for telling me this.
I also did not know this type of oregano wanted cool summers. So, I too, hope others will comment. I guess I could post something on the Herb forum. I am not sure this ornamental oregano works for cooking, but I think it does.
I have been studying various flowers trying to decide which seeds to order, which flowers to order, what combinations to chose etc. etc. etc.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Heat on its own won't bother them (at least not most of the ones I'm familiar with) but a combination of heat with humidity and/or more rainfall/water than is ideal might not make some of them happy. 'Amethyst Falls' http://www.highcountrygardens.com/catalog/product/73051/ for example is more xeric and may not be happy in an area that gets a decent amount of rain unless the drainage is absolutely perfect. But there are other ones like 'Rotkugel' http://www.highcountrygardens.com/catalog/product/73097/ that are more moisture tolerant.

Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

Birder, I'm in zone 6b in Pennsylvania, and have Kent Beauty. It does great. It comes back every year, and blooms nicely. I've divided it a bunch of times b/c I want more and more of it, and it is extremely resilient. This is the only ornamental oregano I've tried, but I thought I'd let you know my experience with it since you're in the same zone. Good luck!
--Pam

Lake Stevens, WA

Don't get me wrong about the flowers/brackets. They are smalller but still showy. I have all three of them growing in pots here in western Washington. Just love them.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Sorry Birder, but I don't think it was me. I haven't had much luck w/ Kent Beauty - I blamed it on heat, humidity, lousy soil, too much shade, marginally hardy - take your pick. I had better luck with a golden foliaged oregano, which is quite striking in the spring, but I don't recall the cultivar. It has small leaves and is practically prostrate. It's the only one which has returned reliably for me. If you're going to try Kent Beauty or Amethyst Falls, my main recommendation is to emphasize sharp drainage. Good luck.

I did try one of the early varieties - maybe 'Kent Beauty' - from seed several years ago but even though I got it started and it grew in a pot, it just went on a pretty quick decline. I thought it was maybe my inexperience at the time (which is a valid point to this day!) until I read about the heat/humidity thing. I don't think these are in my future after reading the comments.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Always such good information from the Dave's Garden gardeners. Thank you.
I don't think I will try it.
Wee Robin, do you know if your oregano is used for culinary purposes? Maybe that's a dumb question--maybe they all work for culinary.
I have been using my rosemary and sage this winter and have surely enjoyed the fresh herbs. I don't use my thyme as much.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Sorry, never tasted it...

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

You'll probably get the best flavor for cooking if you use one of the ones that's intended for culinary purposes vs one that's been bred for its pretty flowers, but you could always experiment and see whether you like the other ones or not.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the comments.

Lake Stevens, WA

I agree with ecranee!! Use the other oregano for cooking. I did eat some of the kent beauty --- Not so good. You should really give it a try in your yard. They are very nice. They need good drainage. Just keep an eye out when you go to the garden centers. You just never know! I live in the Northwest zone 7, we have cool summers and wet winters. Never been back east or to the south. Wish you the best in what ever you decide.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks guys. I haven't decided on the oregano.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.