The Best of 2011

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Hope everyone has a great new gardening year! I'd love to see other "best of".

http://www.xeramtheum.com/

Sumter, SC

Such exquisite flowers so beautifully photographed. Thanks for the ride, Mme X!

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks! This last growing season was awesome in many ways .. I'm in the process of going through my seed catalog and deciding what I want to grow for next year.

Does anyone by any chance have the Chinese Magnolia Vine, Schisandra rubriflora? I've been looking for this plant for years now .. the S. chinensis I found but not the rubriflora.

Charleston, SC(Zone 8b)

What great pictures X- will have to do that documentation this year.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks! I enjoy taking them.

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Love the musical note plant. Just too cool!
Barb

Summerville, SC

Beautiful blooms! Happy New Year to all Carolina Gardeners as well! Wishing you many happy blooms for 2012!

Charleston, SC(Zone 8a)

Wow! Just spectacular! Thanks for sharing.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks Jane! How's your nursery business going?

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

simply gorgeous! truly shows all the hard work you do searching out plants and nurturing them!! green with envy here :)

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Hey .. rednyr how's the beaumontia doing? Any buds?

Charleston, SC(Zone 8b)

JaneJabbour- are you new to the Charleston area? I don't recall seeing you post before- and I am always on the lookout in this forum of who lives close. I live in Forest Lakes, behind the Home Depot, W. Ashley. Are you near me?

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

NO! boo hoo- it totally dropped every single leaf - every one! I read online it's normal during winter months when the weather is not tropical - I was sooooo upset with myself for not being able to control the leaf drop - but with fires in the fireplace I think the air was just too dry - however, as I look at it today I have 4 new shoots coming off the vine and they are leafing out(I left it all intact just to see what it would do instead of cutting it back) so apparently it knows spring is around the corner :) I still love it and have hopes because it did not go totally dormant that with a good head start I might be graced with some blooms in the fall - one can hope :)

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Ack! It never did that when it was small enough for the greenhouse! .. it probably was the lack of humidity. Did the leaves turn a pretty color before they dropped?

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

not unless you consider brown a pretty color - seriously...they slowly just wilted - never turned yellow (to tell me too much water) never turned brown without slowly dying first so it had enough water (and the finger test told me it was moist) sorry to let ya down...I was hoping to post pics of those gorgeous blooms!

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

btw - it's still 15' plus tall so here's hoping :)

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

You didn't let me down .. I'm sorry you had to go though that.

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

It's ok - it's still alive! so I have high hopes :) You know what Tony Avent says LOL

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

No .. don't know what Tony Avent says .. doesn't he own Plant Delights?

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Yes he does and I think he always says, "if it ain't dead, there's hope!" Or something like that...;)
Barb

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

LOL, he also says you are not a real gardener if you haven't killed a plant at least three times. His philosophy is to try the plant under different conditions until it is happy. After three times you should know if it ever will be happy.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Lol .. I'm an expert at killing/murdering plants!

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

That's right!

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

bahaha - thanks ladies for filling X in - Tony def. has quite the humor - always enjoy his catalog which I envision he and staff write while sitting round table with several jugs of wine LOL

BTW there's an awesome Lily co-op going on at gardengeeks.com Bert's supplying and oh my be still my heart...loving the Asiatic Landini and Tom Pouce - had to get Citronella (Tiger Lily) and one Trumpet

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.