Warm Summer Seeds

Lake Stevens, WA

I just was looking through the burpee seed catalog and they are selling Warm Summer Echinacea seeds. Is this a repeat of Magic Box with a promise of red, orange and Yellow but in reality just pink? 10 seeds for 4.95 wow. Anyone try these?

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

I just ignored it, seems like a magic box repeat. I was waiting for Cheyenne Spirit. However I am growing some hybrid seed just to see what pops up. I grew a PowWow berry and got a lot of seeds from that plant, gave them all up on a seed swap. This is the only or one of the only coneflowers that come true from seed. I should have twice as many seed next year.
I bought three coneflowers to be delivered in spring. All have gotten good reviews. Hot Papaya, Pink Double Delight and Hot Summer.

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

Swallowtail Garden Seeds has Cheyenne Spirit, but the seeds are $9.99 for 10 seeds. Ouch!

Lake Stevens, WA

Wow! A bit much.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

I saw that !! Double Ouch. I'm tempted but wow, that's a lot of money for ten seeds. I think I would be mad if they did not all germinate. Has anyone ordered some, by now I have already sown a ton of seed and not really interested, besides I ordered about 6 new cultivars, well new to me anyway. :)

susan

(Zone 4b)

Quote from echinaceamaniac :
Swallowtail Garden Seeds has Cheyenne Spirit, but the seeds

So is it possible we will see the actual rooted "Cheyenne" plants for sale this spring/summer (or still only seeds)?

I think you might see plants. I also heard the Sombrero series of Echinaceas are tissue cultured selections of Cheyenne Spirit.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Maybe I will just wait for the plants. Sombrero series sounds good.:)

(Zone 4b)

This message was edited Feb 26, 2012 8:45 PM

(Zone 4b)

Quote from springcolor :
I just was looking through the burpee seed catalog and they are selling Warm Summer Echinacea seeds. Is this a repeat of Magic Box with a promise of red, orange and Yellow but in reality just pink?

It does seem that "Warm Summer" is a legitimate (very new?) cultivar as shown here:

http://www.bhg.com/gardening/flowers/perennials/new-perennials/#page=4

I just wonder how it compares to "Hot Summer" that our own 'echinaceamaniac' so likes? (And because of 'echinaceamaniacs' glowing reviews last summer I bought several of these plants late last summer...just waiting to see if they survive their first winter)

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

I bought one also, hope it looks as pretty as echinaceamaniacs. I'm not ready for another magic box but I did plant other seeds mainly commercial. Paradoxa, ruby star, cutleaf. Also bought several new cultivars and I am planting them in sets of two hoping to get some fertile seed from these guys. Wish me luck, I will probably need it. :)

Warm Summer is a seed mix variety. The plant I had was called Hot Summer. The seed to get is Cheyenne Spirit...if you can wait for them.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Yes 'Cheyenne Spirit' that's the one, I hear the price will come down in the fall, maybe then we can afford them. Did you hear anything about them offering real plants?

You can get the Sombrero Echinaceas. Those were selected from Cheyenne Spirit. They are yellow, orange or red.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Ok, Thanks. I will be watching for these. :)

(Zone 4b)

You can get the Sombrero Echinaceas. Those were selected from Cheyenne Spirit.

echinaceamaniac, have you seen some "real life" pics of some of these "Sombreros"?

http://courses.missouristate.edu/clydettealsup/horticulture/Horticulture_Variety_Trial.htm#ThisYear

Nothing special.

They look ok, but planting the seeds will be the way to go. I prefer Gaillardias to them for sure!

(Zone 4b)

I prefer Gaillardias to them for sure!

Funny you mention Gaillardia as I slightly enlarged an existing flower bed late last fall and so I need a new set of border plants. I have decided to alternate blue and yellow along the border.

For the yellow I am going to go with the Gaillardia "Arizona Apricot":

http://gardening.about.com/od/allamericaannuals/ig/2011-All-American-Selections/Gaillardia--Arizona-Apricot-.htm

And for the blue I think I will go with the Campanula "Freya":

http://www.waltersgardens.com/plants/General-Perennial/2002_Campanula-glomerataFreyaPPAF.aspx

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

I love that Arizona Apricot, great choice and it's so much easier than the coneflowers and makes a great border! I am trying my luck growing them from seed. I will see how it goes, might be getting in on a coop for plants. :)

I winter sowed mine. They are growing nicely. Some came up within a day or two!

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

I winter sowed mine also, they have sprouted. I need to keep an eye on things because some of my other sprouts froze. :( The weather has been crazy!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.