Getting Rid of Rootknot Nematodes Organically

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

I grow all my plants from seed, so didn't import the nematodes this way but did haul in truck loads of mushroom compost and manure. It showed up in my cantaloupes, melons, beans and peas. Took a while but eventually did them in. They say you can spread it with tools etc...I poke my finger through the mulch to check for moisture and never thought to sterilize my finger between beds and pots. Later some of my container tomatoes had big puffy knotty roots. Of course I didn't know I had anything to spread until I had already spread it. I have planted a cover crop of Dwarf Essex Rape (canola) which supposedly secretes something that suppresses or kills the rootknot nematodes. I will turn it under come spring. I have heard about the marigolds but have a big problem with spider mites here and marigolds are spider mite magnets so that is trading one problem for another. I have had total crop losses from spider mites. Anyone having any experience with the nematodes and some wisdom to pass on, PLEASE DO.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

here in florida, the nematodes prefer sandy soil and i would imagine it is the same where you live. i solve my problem by improving the soil on a yearly basis. i add lots of organic matter and also bagged jungle growth from lowe's.
see the part on amendment and irrigation: http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7489.html

spider mites love dry, windy conditions. they cannot and do not want to live where there is moisture. spray your plants with a mist from the garden nozzle on a regular basis, making sure to get the undersides of the leaves.

correct watering will most probably help with both of your problems.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

They do prefer sandy soil, but they will live in clay soil too. I have been battling them for years. We have added truckloads of compost, all organic. We have tried solar sterilization. We tried flooding for extended periods. I can't say any of these have lessened the population because they still attack carrots, tomatoes, squash, beets. In the areas with the worst RKN problems I plant lettuce, onions, potatoes, sweet potatoes, radishes, arugula and other salad mixes......things they don't seem to affect. The knots will be on the lettuce roots when I pull them up, but doesn't seem to hurt the plant. I burn the roots.
I have chatted at length with several organic suppliers and am trying neem cake this year. It was expensive and had to be shipped from California. Farmerdill recommended planting corn as a trap crop for RKN. Peaceful Valley said rye grass kills them. My neighbor plants radishes and tills them under to control nematodes. I think it takes a special variety though, something called oil seed radish.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.