blue/green annual for full sun

Duxbury, MA(Zone 7a)

I'm planning next summer's garden and need some blue/green color for full sun. I need to fill an area about 1 sq yard, all I can think of is cabbage, I guess if I planted a bunch of plants close together, they wouldn't form huge heads because they wouldn't have room. Any other ideas? Ideally a foot tall or less

Durhamville, NY(Zone 5b)

Try searching for loose leaf cabbage.

This link
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=6573674
shows collard greens which look bluish green on my monitor. I have never grown them so I don't know from first hand experience.

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Cerinthe major purpurescens is blue green, and quite unusual. Here in Seattle it likes full sun, and especially the edge of a wall as it likes to flop over and dangle a bit. Here it also seeds into the wall in a mild winter. Seeds sprout easily and it grows quickly. It grows about 1 1/2 foot tall for me. Sometimes I see plants for sale at local nurseries, but not reliably. I have never direct sowed seeds, but since I get volunteers I bet they would do fine.

New York, NY(Zone 7a)

California poppies not blue-green enough? I guess they're closer to silver-gray.

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

I have grown the Cerinthe from seed, It is very easy and it transplanted well. I would think for your zone you could direct seed it easily. I do over plant it a bit as it can get leggy but if you pinch it back or over seed a bit it is fine. It does make a lovely Blue Green color.
Alberta Ann

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Common Rue (Ruta graveolens) has bluish green foliage and a yellow bloom. There may be other varieties as well. Read up on it before you plant it though...some people find it invasive and the herbal scent undesirable. I used it once as an annual for similar purposes as yours and kept it about 16" tall. I didn't let it bloom, just used it for the foliage color with purple Alternanthera.

Duxbury, MA(Zone 7a)

thanks for your suggestions everyone, and I'll take more if there are any others

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Columbines ???

New York, NY(Zone 7a)

Columbines tend to get leaf miner here by June. The tall meadow-rues, like Thalictrum aquilegifolium, have similar foliage (as the species name implies) and keep their foliage pristine until fall.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Larkspur, short annual delphiniums, lobelia, viola, pansy (green envy is one), ageratum are some things that have blue flowers. There are some annual salvias that are blue as well.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.