Mystery Peonies

Ipswich, MA

Picture of a peony moved and moved again as I have moved. It came to me originally from a friend of my mother's, Ellen Bulllis of Meriden CT. who grew and hybridized peonies (so I was told) in the thirties and gave it to my mother. Anyone seen it, or know it?

Thumbnail by Ruth84
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

It looks similar to Sea Shell, but that was apparently hybridized by Sass in 1937. Nice bloom.

This message was edited Dec 27, 2011 9:19 AM

Kansas City, MO

Probably one that the gifter hybridized herself. Unless someone has her records you will never know what it was called. I would just use the hybridizer's name as the name.

Very nice single what ever it is called.

Kansas City, MO

I did some checking the spelling of the name was MRS. ELLEY SWINDEN BULLUSS. She only registered one peony which was a red listed with the American Peony Society.

Peonies like this is one of the reason's I like to purchase less known breeders plants.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

The foliage looks to be rather small and slender. That might give some clues as to to parentage of this hybrid. It is lovely. Isn't it wonderful how a peony that we've had in our family can seem so possessive of us? I love that about peonies.

Ipswich, MA

to ah3815 I am so touched that you looked up Elley Swinden Bulluss. I never saw it written, sounds right.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.